Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey like the title says I need to replace my front springs I have a 2014 JKU that I purchased about 6 months ago. About a month after I got it I put the Teraflex spacer leveling kit on it with a set of JL Rubicon 285/70R17 BFG KO2 take offs that I got for a steal. All was right with the world and I loved how she sat. I recently put a LOD front bumper and Smittybilt 10k winch on the front and noticed she was sagging. Well today we had a freak 60 degree day in the middle of winter so I was able to climb under the jeep with a tape measure. From what I have read the bottom shock bolt to shock mount should be at 18.5 inches stock so with 2 inches worth of spacers I should be at 20.5 inches. My jeep measured out to 19 inches so it seems that I am sagging about 1.5 inches. My front springs are the stock part # 52126317AC from what I have read I could swap in 19 springs but it still probably wouldn't bring me back up to 20.5. I have been looking at replacement front coil springs but am unsure what coils I should buy. Would new 2.5inch lift coils be enough that I would be back at 20.5 without the spacers or should I be looking for a 3 or 3.5 inch coil to account for the extra weight of the bumper and winch? Any recommendations on what brand front coils would be the best bang for my buck Teraflex, Metalcloak?

I am sorry if this has been asked before but I tried searching and wasn't really able to find the info I was looking for

·
Registered
442 Posts
Try the Teraflex leveling kit with springs

I put these on my Jeep with a Havoc front bumper weighs 120 lbs. planning on putting. Q10000 lbs winch on which will add another 60 pounds .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,804 Posts
Spacers lift relative to where ever you are before installing the spacers. So, if you add 2" worth of spacers up front you will be 2" higher than you were before the spacers. Your Jeep simply may have been lower than average to begin with.
That said, I would replace all 4 springs if you are replacing springs.
The TF leveling springs are an option. Another option would be to look for a set of take offs from a JKU that had longer springs than you currently have (you say you have 17's). But there are only two normal steps longer than what you have, and those two steps aren't likely to be worth an inch and a half. Or you could try the Rancho 2" progressive spring lift, it comes with a set of shocks for slightly more than the cost of a set of springs. Anoither option with a JKU, if you are trying to avoid much lift, is try a set of 2.5" lift JK 2 door springs from a company like MetalCloak, Rockrawler, or Synergy. A set of 2.5" lift springs for a JK will deliver less height for a JKU, typically.
Or you could just leave it the way you have it assuming it drive well. I would not focus on how much lift you have or don't have compared to a hypothetical standard. Focus on how it drives.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I've got a 14 JKU sport, so been there, done that. Here's what I think. Stock, our Jeeps are lower than the 18.5" measurement. Here's what I did. I installed 2.5" of solid front spacers (not rubber) and measured 1.5" of lift (shock method, 20 inches). I recently bought the Teraflex 2.5" lift without shocks. I've installed the front springs, thinking that my sport simply had wimpy front springs. Well, with them in, I measure 20.25" at the shocks. I also measured the spring perch method and it matches, so I'm up 1.75" from stock. This is with NO front bumper. I have a snowplow frame on the front that weighs about the same as a stock front bumper. So I know when I put back on my stubby front bumper and winch, I'll be back down to 1.5" or lower lift.

What I would recommend? Either add spacers to what you've got or buy springs to give you 3 to 3.5" lift. I expect the 3.5 with the winch/bumper will result in an actual measured 2.5".

For the rear, you really have to work it independently, in my opinion. We have a lot of Jeep Rake in our JKUs. I've got a Teraflex 1" spacer in the rear and with my front springs on there, the Jeep is just about level. Measuring the rear, I find its lifted 1/2". Putting a level on the rock rails, the front is slightly higher than the rear. I may try installing the Teraflex rear springs as others have talked about only a very small lift from them. If I got another 1/2" to 1" from where I am now (removing the 1" spacer), that would be fine.

It's funny. I talked with tons of people before buying these springs in my offroad club. All of them insisted that the 2.5" lift kit would get me at LEAST 2.5" even with my winch/bumper. I'm now convinced that none of them actually measured anything. They just installed them and assumed they got the lift they expected.

For me, the lift is there only for offroad clearance. I could care less how it looks. Although it does look cool.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey like the title says I need to replace my front springs I have a 2014 JKU that I purchased about 6 months ago. About a month after I got it I put the Teraflex spacer leveling kit on it with a set of JL Rubicon 285/70R17 BFG KO2 take offs that I got for a steal. All was right with the world and I loved how she sat. I recently put a LOD front bumper and Smittybilt 10k winch on the front and noticed she was sagging. Well today we had a freak 60 degree day in the middle of winter so I was able to climb under the jeep with a tape measure. From what I have read the bottom shock bolt to shock mount should be at 18.5 inches stock so with 2 inches worth of spacers I should be at 20.5 inches. My jeep measured out to 19 inches so it seems that I am sagging about 1.5 inches. My front springs are the stock part # 52126317AC from what I have read I could swap in 19 springs but it still probably wouldn't bring me back up to 20.5. I have been looking at replacement front coil springs but am unsure what coils I should buy. Would new 2.5inch lift coils be enough that I would be back at 20.5 without the spacers or should I be looking for a 3 or 3.5 inch coil to account for the extra weight of the bumper and winch? Any recommendations on what brand front coils would be the best bang for my buck Teraflex, Metalcloak?

I am sorry if this has been asked before but I tried searching and wasn't really able to find the info I was looking for
I had this issue too when I added a heavy front bumper and winch. MY solution was to go to the 20 springs which are the rubicon Hard Rock 20th anniversary springs.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Synergy Springs are great, 8063-20 up front for 2in for leveling (i net 2.5 inches with an ACE mid-width bumper on my 18 JKU) and if you need rears 8064-10 (1in in the rear).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts