Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am a bit confused and looking for some help. I read about a million posts about leveling a JK but I am not seeing anything in my direct situation. So… I am here begging for some help to put me back on track.

Here is my issue:

Two weeks ago, I installed a Rock Krawler X-Factor 2.5” lift on my 2015 JK Rubicon 4 door. After the install, I had a major dip to the right front side. Also (or because of) I had an elevation in the driver’s side rear.

I took it in and had it aligned and checked over. The shop (Tampa Off-Road in Tampa, FL) said that everything looked great and they made sure all of the torques were right and once the alignment was done the caster was good, etc. I also got the feeling (eye rolls galore) that there were some issues with Rock Krawlers 2.5” springs.

I am trying to level the Jeep now but I am not sure if I am thinking it through properly or, when to fuss about the springs being bad, etc.

Please note that these measurements came from arbitrary points off of the bumpers at the extreme corners. Also, this is with a full tank of gas and no passengers. The trunk has the normal stuff, mini-hospital, co2 tank, recovery bag full of the norm and my bubba rope.
Doing the troubleshooting tonight, I got the following initial differences:

Initial difference front: 1-5/8” higher on left
Initial difference rear: 1-1/4” higher on left

Next, I took a 4’level across the hood. I jacked up the passenger front at the passenger, frame side lower control arm mount. Once I got the front level, I went to the rear and the rear was perfectly level and the rake was about 1/8” higher in the back (which I like). So everything looks great. I took a measurement from the passenger side upper spring housing (the place where the spring tucks up into at the top) to the axle housing directly below.

While on the jack, the measurement was 14-13/16”. After releasing the jack and bouncing the Jeep a bit, the measurement was 13-7/16”. That’s a difference of 1-3/8 inch.
Now, to level, do I just order a 1-1/4” spacer (or a bigger one and cut it to exactly 1-3/8) and install it?
Is the difference so bad that I need to worry about performance on or off road?

Anything else to add? Anything I didn’t think about?

Thanks a ton, in advance.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Have you measured from axle to top of spring bucket on both sides. Are the springs seated in the coil buckets properly? I know you had it rechecked, but if they said it was perfectly normal, I would be a little concerned.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah. That was the first thing we checked, even before the alignment. And I went through it again tonight.

The spring is seated properly and it has the retainer installed on the bottom.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Are you talking about the sprig retainer that you drilled into the spring seat steel that just holds it to the axle? Making sure you didn't put the angled plastic shim spacers for the rear upfront. Kinda ridiculous but I at first thought they went upfront. I have 3.5"

·
Commercial Member
1,550 Posts
Call RK and see if they will send you new Front Springs...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you talking about the sprig retainer that you drilled into the spring seat steel that just holds it to the axle? Making sure you didn't put the angled plastic shim spacers for the rear upfront. Kinda ridiculous but I at first thought they went upfront. I have 3.5"

Yes, I was talking about the spring retainers you drill into the perch. I definitely did not put the wedges up front.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts