Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

I bought a light bar off eBay.

The wiring from the light bar itself came without terminals on the ends of the Black and red wires.

The harness has the female terminals already there.

I have no electrical background so can someone tell me what I need to get in order to get this working? And maybe a tutorial how to do it.

I attached the pictures to show what I'm talking about.

Don't need the "you get what you pay for" comments please, I need help not opinions.

Attachments

·
Registered
278 Posts
Just go to your local auto parts or Home Depot and buy some ring terminals and screw them to the positive and negative bolts on the battery connections. Did it come with an inline fuse?

Attachments

·
Registered
278 Posts
Just ran out to my jeep so I could shoot you a picture of how mine is wired up. It's the black and red wires with the inline fuse. My wiring harness came this way with my light bar but you could easily replicate this yourself.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No I have the ring parts that attach to the battery terminals or whatever. I need something that goes into the clear rubber piece. I did some Google searching and I think it's called a spade terminal?

Are there different ones for the gauge of wire? Is this what is usually on that wire?

This isn't the piece that goes under the hood to battery, this is the wire that comes out of the light bar. It's just a short wire with open wiring like shown in the original picture. It's the part that is supposed to get tucked away under the windshield brackets.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Easiest thing to do is clip off the connectors on the female harness. Then, head down to an auto parts or hardware store and get a box of butt connectors. Take the positive/red wire from the light bar and slip it into one end of the butt connector. Take the positive/red wire from the harness and slip it into the other. Use a crimper or a pair of pliers to crimp/squeeze the butt connector onto the wires. Wrap with electrical tape and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Easiest thing to do is clip off the connectors on the female harness. Then, head down to an auto parts or hardware store and get a box of butt connectors. Take the positive/red wire from the light bar and slip it into one end of the butt connector. Take the positive/red wire from the harness and slip it into the other. Use a crimper or a pair of pliers to crimp/squeeze the butt connector onto the wires. Wrap with electrical tape and you should be good to go.
Can anyone confirm this would work?

How does it come on the expensive name brand ones? Is it like mine in the picture or are the wires already connected? If they are already connected, can someone show me how they're connected?

I want to make sure I'm not defeating a needed purpose by being able to disconnect the light bar from the harness.

Thanks for all the help so far guys, greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Can anyone confirm this would work? How does it come on the expensive name brand ones? Is it like mine in the picture or are the wires already connected? If they are already connected, can someone show me how they're connected? I want to make sure I'm not defeating a needed purpose by being able to disconnect the light bar from the harness. Thanks for all the help so far guys, greatly appreciated.
Use the butt splices and some shrink wrap. They will be fine.

·
Commercial Member
2,223 Posts
Solder trumps crimping. And, there are tons of YouTube videos that are very helpful...much more than a description in text can give.

I would use a relay if I were you...

·
Commercial Member
2,223 Posts
Can anyone confirm this would work?

How does it come on the expensive name brand ones? Is it like mine in the picture or are the wires already connected? If they are already connected, can someone show me how they're connected?

I want to make sure I'm not defeating a needed purpose by being able to disconnect the light bar from the harness.

Thanks for all the help so far guys, greatly appreciated.
Both of my light bars came without any connectors on the wires. If you develop a preference for something other than what came on it (which would be an improvement), simply cut those off, strip a bit of insulation and attach whatever connectors you like.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
Go buy a huge assorted pack of electrical connectors, a pair of wire strippers, and a crimper. Dont buy the cheapest crimper/strippers you can find. And dont buy the cheapest connectors you can find.

http://www.amazon.com/250pcs-Connector-Waterproof-Automotive-Terminals/dp/B019TU94Q2/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1455844280&sr=8-17&keywords=assorted+electrical+wire+connectors

This right here would do everything you need
http://www.amazon.com/Tools-VISE-GRIP-Stripper-Crimper-2078309/dp/B000JNNWQ2/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1455844253&sr=1-1&keywords=wire+strippers

·
Grumpy Old Guy
2,665 Posts
Go to youtube and learn how to do it correctly.
That wire across the top of the engine is ****ing lazy mans bullshit.
DO it right, or know for certain, something will go wrong.

I knew nothing about wiring and learned from a friend and from youtube and re-wired an entire motorcycle with 2 ECU's, full data recorder, AIM dash, digi dash, and it was fully DOT compliant. Turn signals and all.

Route well. Connect proper.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
Go to youtube and learn how to do it correctly.
That wire across the top of the engine is ****ing lazy mans bullshit.
DO it right, or know for certain, something will go wrong.

I knew nothing about wiring and learned from a friend and from youtube and re-wired an entire motorcycle with 2 ECU's, full data recorder, AIM dash, digi dash, and it was fully DOT compliant. Turn signals and all.

Route well. Connect proper.
Where does he say there is a wire running across the top of the engine?

·
Commercial Member
2,223 Posts
Just ran out to my jeep so I could shoot you a picture of how mine is wired up. It's the black and red wires with the inline fuse. My wiring harness came this way with my light bar but you could easily replicate this yourself.
Where does he say there is a wire running across the top of the engine?
I think he glanced at that post...which is NOT the OPs. A bit harsh nonetheless.

·
Commercial Member
2,223 Posts
Lol just cleaned my engine bay today so here is a better picture. Although I'm not a master "YouTube" electrician I did my best to use wire loom and zip tie it in with the factory wires and ran them behind the engine.
I wasn't criticizing. I was referring to the guy that came on cussing, etc.

From your original pic, I only saw wiring passing over the battery, not the engine.

:thumb:

·
Registered
278 Posts
I wasn't criticizing. I was referring to the guy that came on cussing, etc. From your original pic, I only saw wiring passing over the battery, not the engine. :thumb:
Sorry my comment was not directed at you (shouldn't have quoted your comment). I was just laughing at their post. Lol

·
Grumpy Old Guy
2,665 Posts
My bad. Didnt have my glasses on and thought this was his engine. It looks just like my H3 Inline motor without my glasses. #firstworldoldmanproblems

·
Super Moderator
2,843 Posts
Hey all!

I bought a light bar off eBay.

The wiring from the light bar itself came without terminals on the ends of the Black and red wires.

The harness has the female terminals already there.

I have no electrical background so can someone tell me what I need to get in order to get this working? And maybe a tutorial how to do it.

I attached the pictures to show what I'm talking about.

Don't need the "you get what you pay for" comments please, I need help not opinions.

Whenever I wire anything that is exposed to the elements I make all my connections using sealed Deutsch connectors. They are watertight connectors similar to the quality of connectors found under the hood of your car. Yes, they aren't as easy as crimping on a couple spade terminals but after a few rainstorms and a NE winter the connections are dry, corrosion free and everything still works as it should.

Attachments

·
Registered
653 Posts
Use a relay. Safer and easy to set up. Especially if it's a bigger LED bar.

There was a whole thread on how to wire up lights.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts