Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I have a '98 that had a damaged tub, everything ran fine at the time, started ran no problem. I bought a 2000 tub and swapped it out. I used all the old wiring harnesses from the original 98 tub. The only thing a didnt change out was the steering column and levers on it. Last night hooked everything up, and it started and it ran, no issues.
This morning I went to do some more work, it would start and cut out after about 2-3 seconds. Then the little key with a slash through it appeared on the dash. Fooled with this for about 10-15 minutes, and I got it to start again. Same thing happened a couple hours later.

I called a friend of mine, and he said the original PCM (in the 98) probably wasn't recognizing the SKIM or key and that's why it was shutting down. He suggested swap out the steering columns. I did notice on the '00 column there was a black box just behind the ignition (Siemens was marked on it) so I assume that was an anti theft relay maybe?

Anyway, I swapped out the steering columns, and it is still doing the same thing, starts and then dies 2-3 seconds later, no warning lights.

I used my scan tool and got P1685 and P1686.

They key in the original 98 Jeep( that worked fine) is a copy, not the original, previous owner said he hasnt had the original for years.

anyone have any ideas? I disconnected battery for 10 minutes, turned on key for a minutes w/o starting, then tried to start, same results.

I am about done with this thing, I was doing so well last night, now I am pissed and hopeless.:atomic::atomic:

Rob

·
Registered
15,636 Posts
You are screwed

All PCM 98 and newer are SKIM capable but the feature lies dormant until the PCM see 3 or so starts with a SKIM module attached to the CCD bus

Then it is irreversibly activated and without the proper chipped key or a full reprogram the PCM is effectively bricked

You cannot undo what you have done

Is your 98 a 5 SPd or auto as If a 5 SPd you have XJ options for a used PCM

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is a 5 speed.You ever heard of anyone purchasing a new PCM, if I send them the original VIN(from the 98)? They ask for the VIN if you purchase one.

BTW thanks for your response.
Rob

·
Registered
15,636 Posts
If you have a chipped key for the 2000 you could go that route

Otherwise you need a PCM that works

Easiest to find is a 97-99 XJ 4.0 (one that does not have skim)

Since the XJ uses a separate TCM for the AW4 even an auto one can work

Just for grins I drove my 98 sport 5 SPd with a 97 XJ 4.0 auto pcm for a day

Worked fine did get a CEL for no TCM on BUS and cruise would not engage as the 5 SPd has a jumper across park neutral harness so the Auto PCM thought it was always in park or neutral so would not let cruise control set

Otherwise drove fine

Any PCM you use does need to be a 97-99 4.0 TJ or XJ and for emissions different PCM calif vs Federal

As in 98 only calif emissions had a pump to check evap system

If you don't care about CEL a XJ PCM at you pull it is only about $40

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got it

So I had someone come over to try and reprogram the PCM with the 98 key,ignition, etc. No luck. the PCm kept asking for a SKIM code/number. The old 98 chassis did not have an ECM on the ignition, but the 2000 did.

So we swapped out the ignition cylinders, added the ECn from the 2000, got the SKIM using the VIN of the 2000, he programmed it, and it works great. All for only $165, and about 1.5 hours.

Not bad. Now on the rest of the electrical to finish the tub swap.
Oh yeah anyone have issues with the slave cylinder not seating right or working?

Rob:iamhappy:

·
Registered
15,636 Posts
So you are using the 2000 PCM?

If so did you go to coil rail or coil packs?

Also using the 2000 exhaust and if so the federal without or calif with pre cats

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
98 pcm

Its actually the original PCM from the 98. We took the Ignition out of the '00 and the ECM from the '00 steering column, reinstalled those back onto the '98 column.

I guess we tricked the '98 PCM by giving it the correct SKIM code that was matched up with that key.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts