Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, I just finished a RIPP Supercharger install and tune. It started the first time but ran really rough. Turned off the engine and it would not start again. Read the code P0129 - barometric pressure too low. We verified the intake temp sensor was facing the right direction and the Ripp map sensor is fully seated and plugged in. Rechecked all the vacuum lines/plugs/sensors and everything looks sound.

I measured the resistance between both map sensors. With the connector tab facing up, and pins facing towards you, read 4.6k between pins 1 and 2, 2.2k between 2 and 3 and 2.3k between 1 and 3. The Ripp map sensor read 1.6k between 1 and 2, 16.6 between 1 and 3 and 16.7 between 2 and 3.

It would be a great help if someone with a Ripp system could measure the resistance on their map sensor pins, that should give me an indication if that is my problem.

Ripp is closed and I am dead in the water. Please help!!!

:atomic:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's a large RIPP thread on here. Maybe you can find somebody within it to help ?
I have browsed through most of the treads and have seen overheating and auto tranny issues, but I can't even get the engine started.

Definitely leaning more towards a bad map sensor. Just turning the ignition to "ON" without cranking the engine throws the P0129 - Barometric pressure too low code. When I clear the code and swap back to the stock sensor everything seems fine. If I try to crank the engine with the stock sensor, still doesn't start but smells like gas, which I think is due to the narrower sensor range telling the ECU there is twice the pressure in the manifold.

To anyone with a wrangler, if you turn the ignition to "On", wait about 7 seconds, does the check engine light blink 10X then stay solid? I saw this behavior with the stock sensor but it did not throw a code.

Ripp is closed until Monday and I need to get to work tomorrow...

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Try sending Ripp an email - I've read where they may respond during closed business hours.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Try sending Ripp an email - I've read where they may respond during closed business hours.
I e-mailed Ripp a couple questions regarding the kit last Monday, and again last night about this issue and radio silence. Just sent them a message on facebook and posted on their wall. I wish they had an emergency phone number!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I updated the Diablo tuner to the latest version and it seems like the MAP code went away, but the engine just cranks and still doesn't start.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Set the tune back to stock and reinstalled the newest Ripp tune from scratch. Received P0129 before even cranking the engine. I cleared it and tried to crank 2 times for ~6 seconds and could smell gas in the exhaust. Nothing is leaking around the fuel rail or injectors. Seems like it can't regulate the incoming air properly...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Set the tune back to stock and reinstalled the newest Ripp tune from scratch. Received P0129 before even cranking the engine. I cleared it and tried to crank 2 times for ~6 seconds and could smell gas in the exhaust. Nothing is leaking around the fuel rail or injectors. Seems like it can't regulate the incoming air properly...
Sounds like what happens with the stock tune and the Ripp MAP sensor. Need to make sure the new tune is writing to the PCM.
I would write the stock tune with the stock MAP sensor installed. Start and idle the engine for 10 minutes. Then re-install the Ripp MAP sensor and re-install the Ripp tune.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like what happens with the stock tune and the Ripp MAP sensor. Need to make sure the new tune is writing to the PCM.
I would write the stock tune with the stock MAP sensor installed. Start and idle the engine for 10 minutes. Then re-install the Ripp MAP sensor and re-install the Ripp tune.
I wrote everything back to stock but it still would not start, either the cylinders are flooded with fuel or the stock map can't meter the supercharger pressure properly. Once I put the Ripp map back, I did a data log and the Ripp MAP sensor read 95kpa, or 13.77 psi with the engine off.

If it thinks there is that much pressure in the manifold, the injectors must be dumping gas in to compensate, which explains the gas smell in the exhaust when its cranking. Hopefully my cats are okay...

Just sent the log to Ripp, will report back later.

·
Registered
77 Posts
13.77 is 1 psi less than sea level absolute so I'm guessing it's close for your location today. I'm at 5600 feet altitude and my MAP is 11.78 psi today.
My Ripp MAP sensor reads 700 ohms 1&2, 300 ohms 1&3, and 190 ohms 2&3 using an analog meter.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Researching more into it...the MAP should be reading atmospheric pressure ~14.7 psi. I am low by a pound, which is consistent with the code I'm receiving.

·
Registered
77 Posts
With the stock tune and the stock MAP the mixture will initially be rich since you are using larger injectors, but it should start and run ok as long as you don't exceed ambient MAP. The stock MAP can't read higher than ambient pressures so the PCM gets lost regards fuel mixture.
I re-installed the stock MAP and tune recently and it ran lousy at first but eventually cleaned up. Too rich.
Would guess your theory regards flooded cylinders is probably correct.
Again, I would go back to stock tune and MAP and try to get it to run that way. Also try re-seating the throttle position sensor connector.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
With the stock tune and the stock MAP the mixture will initially be rich since you are using larger injectors, but it should start and run ok as long as you don't exceed ambient MAP. The stock MAP can't read higher than ambient pressures so the PCM gets lost regards fuel mixture.
I re-installed the stock MAP and tune recently and it ran lousy at first but eventually cleaned up. Too rich.
Would guess your theory regards flooded cylinders is probably correct.
Again, I would go back to stock tune and MAP and try to get it to run that way. Also try re-seating the throttle position sensor connector.
Thanks for the input! I was thinking the stock tune and map would run leaner due to the pressure from the blower, but it does make sense the larger injectors would compensate. A little more air and a lot more fuel.
Was your blower still plumbed up or did you throw a filter on the throttle body?

I'll definitely reseat the TPS connector. I'm going to wait for Ripp's response then I'll try going back to stock again. I suspect the issue is from the MAP sensor reading too low. It should run with the stock map though. If I go back to stock, do you think I need to pull the manifold to evaporate out some of the fuel or will it start if I keep cranking it?

·
Registered
77 Posts
All I did was re-install the stock tune and MAP sensor. Blower was still blowing but at low RPMs doesn't make much difference. It will run ok as long as you don't get into the boost range(higher than sea level absolute or 14.7 psi) on the MAP.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I sent Ripp my logs and it looks like their tune never got loaded. I have the correct tune on now, but the engine is flooded from cranking the stock tune with the Ripp map sensor. Pulled a plug and it looked black, pretty sure they are fouling out because I can only hear a couple cylinders firing when I crank the engine. Going to replace all plugs then I should be up and running. Thanks for your help PRS!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's all cleared up now with the new tune and running like a champ. The only thing is if I clutch and go to neutral, the revs will hang around 2000-2200rpm for 3 seconds then come down. I figure the PCM just has to learn the new map and adapt.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts