Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I bought a new light bar that has 4 baja 100 watt 12v 6 amp lights. I need to know what wiring hit can handle this as I almost ruined my car with one that could handle it. Thanks!

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Hey guys. I bought a new light bar that has 4 baja 100 watt 12v 6 amp lights. I need to know what wiring hit can handle this as I almost ruined my car with one that could handle it. Thanks!
100 watts divided by 12 volts is 8.3 amps (not 6). I suggest you wire them in pairs (run two hots and two grounds) and use 14 gauge wire. You could use a 40 amp relay, but I would also use two relays to power them. That way you would have the option of using one or two pairs by using double switches, or you could use a single switch to trigger both relays. You could either wire it up yourself or buy two wiring kits made for a pair of 100 watt KC lights.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,386 Posts
100 watts divided by 12 volts is 8.3 amps (not 6). I suggest you wire them in pairs (run two hots and two grounds) and use 14 gauge wire.
Which in other words also means all four lights are pulling over 32 amps which is more than common lighting relays are capable. So as suggested, I'd go with two pre-wired relay controlled offroad light wiring harnesses and use them to control/power only 2 lights each. Pretty much any 4x4 shop that carries offroad driving lights will carry one that will work fine. They're available on eBay and Amazon.com too.

It's very easy to enable both relays from one switch if you can get someone who understands how relays work. Or just install the kits and use the two included switches to control the lights two at a time.

Finally, your lights draw way too much power for a simple switch and standard gauge wiring. The amperage draw would burn up a normal switch, that's why the recommended pre-wired wiring harness includes a relay. The relay serves to control the lights via even a light-duty switch.

Good luck with it.

Incidentally, click on the below image to see an animation on how the relay harness works. It won't animate itself until it is clicked on.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts