Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I'm looking at a 1994 four cyl, 2.5L, 5 speed manual
with 98k miles on it...

As I have never personally owned a Jeep, but have driven
them before, with lower mileage on them.

Can anyone tell me what kind of technical problems i should
ask the dealer about, or should expect if i should decide to
purchase this vehicle...

Also what kind of life expectancy can i expect from the vehicle
in terms of approximate mileage where things will start breaking
down too much where its cheaper to get a new vehicle instead of
constantly fixing the one that i'm looking at???

Please respond as detailed as you can, I have alot of technical
knowledge of GMs, fords, and ford products,(ASE certified mechanic) but unfortunately
i have no experience with Jeep products in the technical sense..

Thanks

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
I'd have it checked over by a mechanic. If it checks out, and the price is reasonable, I'd go for it.

1994 is a good year.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I bought mine with 85k on it and was very pleased. The 2.5L and the driveline is holdin' up really well at 122k. The only stuff I replaced is stuff I wanted to do or I broke it, no fault of the Jeep age or wear.

·
Registered
187 Posts
i bought mine at 130,000 ive got 160,000 on it now. and still going strong, well cant get 70mph on the freeway but ive got 31/10.50s. water pump went out on me but thats about it.

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
Well, the 4banger is a good engine, not a lot of power but it will run into the high 100k range on miles if taken care of. As you would with any used car or truck check the systems over.

·
Registered
466 Posts
just rolled 158,000 today in my 4 banger she is runnin strong but i think the 31's are takin a toll on the engine but no problems yet....i mean it even passed inspection today! i think my vac line on 4x4 are going but not a big deal gotta take some pics on the mornin of a lil afternoon mud run soon to be posted

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks alot i think im going to go and check it out in a few days, the price is about 1k under kelly blue book, which i know to some don't mean nothing, but its just an easier way for me to compare it...

my chief concern was mainly over the tranny, but i can see already that that shouldn't be an issue...anything i should particularly look for that would be very out of place mechanically? thats the last
question i have thanks alot to those of you who responded...you've helped alot

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
This should be pretty straight forward for a certified mechanic. Just look over all of the normal stuff, leaking fluid, sloppy suspension or steering. I can't think of anything Jeep specific.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I bought my 92 from a friend who was orig. owner. This guy isn't what you call vehicle friendly.He has taken this YJ across country at least 5 times, northern Canada twice, Mexico one time and about 700mi a week normal running since new. I just had to rebuild his 2.5 about 40,000mi ago. The Jeep has more than 320,000mi on it and really could have done with only a valve job. The only major trouble was the three transmissions he had to replace. The last one was replaced with a updated 97 model, I'll see how it goes

·
Registered
600 Posts
I can think of jeep specific problems...Not mechanical but anyway... Jeep due to thier fold down windshield rely on foam rubber seals under the windshield frame. depending only a little of where your at, those go to chit over time. If it has carpet pull it back under the dash at the pedals to see the metal of the floor boards. If its a 94' i'd say it would be very rusty(if not a hole) this problem also gets into electrical behind the dash. (I popped 2 radios from this) My front axle wheel universals were shot at 98k lots of rust hides behind the soft fender flares. Main problem I feel with these older jeeps is the rust...there is alot more places this can hide out undetected in jeeps than any other vehicle

1 - 11 of 11 Posts