Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there i am new to this forum but i need a hand/suggestions. ok 1990 jeep wrangler new batt starter good altenator good cleaned all connections battery, starter . Now it still will not start off battery but if i jump from a truck it will fire up then when i drive for about ten min it will shut down then it will not start like to week but if i jump it off a truck again it fires right back up any suggestions please and thank you

·
Registered
443 Posts
I start by diagnosing one at a time. If motor is turning over then starter is good. Take out multimeter and check voltage at battery. Then have someone try and start the jeep, keep an eye on volts, with a good battery it
Shouldnt drop below 10. If it's dropping below that, battery.
Once jeep is running check voltage at battery to make sure alternator is charging should be 13-14. Clean/Tighten your ground at battery and follow that black ground wire and clean/tighten. Do all that and post results, we can go from there

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
help

ok so i went threw 3 batteries two of them drew down to 5 volts the one of them stayed at 11 and crancked and started so it is starting now but still have the issue of will idle forever but when drive for 10 min it shuts downHMMMM and ideas

·
Founder, ThumbJeeps
4,062 Posts
Are you using used batteries? Even a draw down to 11v is not good. Here is a chart... 11v is less than 10% battery charge level.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Check 50 amp fuses in box next to battery. Two fuses connect alternator to battery. Will not charge if they are blown.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bought two new batteries and they draw to 11 and the fuses seem to be ok changed from my other jeep and still does the same

·
Registered
635 Posts
I may be totally off base but to me it sounds like the starter is drawing too much for the battery to supply. Hooking it to another vehicle gives it extra power it needs. I had an intermittent shut down issue with my 90 and it ended up being the ICM. I have the 4.2 engine. Fill out your profile so we can see what your Jeep has and maybe we can give you more accurate info.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts