Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am buying my first Wrangler soon, but I can't decide on which package to get. I live in Chicago so keep that weather in your mind. The two features I am stuck between are either the 9 speaker alpine sound system or the cold weather group. The alpine sound system also cost $1200 more. Thanks

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Hmmm. Two totally unrelated features. I take it that your budget is forcing the issue.

Well, the cold winters of Chicago aren't going to go away any time soon, global warming notwithstanding, so I guess I would pick the cold weather group. You can always go aftermarket on the speakers and HU later easily enough.

Congrats on the new Wrangler and welcome to the Forum!

·
Premium Member
9,897 Posts
The cold weather group is a block heater, heated front seats, slush mats and remote start if you are getting an auto. I love my heated front seats. Now if you really like your music I would go after market when it comes to stereo systems but that is just me.

·
Registered
29 Posts
We ordered our Sahara with the "Mopar Amaretto Leather & Premium Sound Package", which included really nice heated leather seats (Katzkin) and the Alpine 9 speaker system. The package was $2,000 MSRP. So far I'm very happy with the package. The Alpine speaker/amp system actually sounds really good, especially with a better than stock head unit (we swapped out the radio 130 for a Pioneer 5200). For us, the stereo is something we can enjoy almost every minute of time we spend in the Jeep. I know it isn't what you're asking about, but maybe something to consider.

From my perspective, the most compelling aspect of the Cold Weather Package would be the fact that it comes with BFG KO2 tires. I have those on our Land Cruiser and have been very impressed with them. When the time comes, I'll put KO2s on our JKU as well.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Skip the cold weather group, just add heated seats and snag the Quadratec floor liners as they're better than the Mopar slush mats.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
427 Posts
Skip the cold weather group, just add heated seats and snag the Quadratec floor liners as they're better than the Mopar slush mats.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I like the KO2s too, but the stock tires will be fine on snow and ice. I live in Pittsburgh and have driven on them on the worst winter days.

Also, take a look at Craigslist for things like floor mats. I see them in my area for about $30.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
I live in NW Indiana so I know all about the winters here and the lake effect snow. My Wrangler came with the cold weather group and I wouldn't have it any other way. Heated front seats are nice in the winter and the remote start is way better than getting into a frozen vehicle that you have to scrape the ice and snow off of before you leave. Leave the temp settings on high heat and on the windows remote start it up go out and turn the wipers on and your good to go. Also, some others have commented about the stock tires in the winter and they are perfectly fine. I have never used 4wheel drive in the winter as the 2 wheel drive is more than adequate. The only time I did is when I wanted to test the 4 wheel drive out in a corn field with about 18" of snow and it walked through it just fine. Congrats on your purchase.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts