Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hydro locked my jeep this weekend, drained the engine. Changed spark plugs and changing oil now. Just put this engine in back in november so I hate my self right now. Any tips on conserving this engine? Other then don't drive through ponds

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Did you get the water out the exhaust also?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Most of the time when you hydro lock a motor it is no good due to the 4 stroke cycle it compresses the water or tries to and the water doesnt compress like air and will cause bent rods or broken pistons and somtimes cause head damage

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Waters out of exhaust, and i never turned it on while water was in engine. I drained everything out. Doesn't mean I'm gonna get every drop of water out but I was hoping the little excess will burn off. Im not having any overheating problems. Its just idling at 1200 rpms and when in gear rpms stay at 1200 or higher. It should be idling at 500. Engine never passed 240 degrees though even after driving it all day yesterday. I'm really crossing my fingers on this one because my last engine blew through the sidewall from hydrolock but that took 5 months after the issue and I didn't even drain anything

·
Registered
419 Posts
This isn't the first time you hydro locked an engine? Learn your lesson. Don't make the same mistake twice. That applies to life but also off road. If you do something off road, learn from those experiences. What you did right, what you did wrong.

Get one of these, unless you are just going for a total swim.

Amazon.com: AEM 20-403S 3" Air Bypass Valve: Automotive

·
Registered
15 Posts
Someone installed an aftermarket intake on mine that looks like a high-mounted cold air intake. Still under the hood, but moves the inlet directly above the center of the engine block. Probably draws a lot of hot air, but gets the intake away from the grille and raises it a few more inches. I doubt it would have costed too much (then again, who knows?).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was considering moving it somewhere else until I decide on the snorkel, the ram intake for the grill was bad for the yjs, you would think they would have put it somewhere else. Tjs have it pointing up under the hood like you said so I can't imagine it being too bad

·
Registered
12 Posts
Check your kick down cable and your throtle cable i would disco the throtle cable and see if that help and if not take your throtle pedle position sensor off the throtle bodie and clean it

1 - 13 of 13 Posts