Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got my 88 I6 Wrangler on the road. It appears that the idling sometimes just goes ahead and takes a dump. Let me explain and we'll see if yall can help me.

Just starting it, idles at about 800 rpm, does some juking and jiving, but stays around there, idling rough. After warmed up, it does pretty good.

When coming to a stop, about 1 out of every 4 times, it dies when I come to a sudden stop. If I feather the throttle, I can keep it running.

I messed a little with the idle screw and got it idling at about 900 rpm right now, misses a little less, but still a little rough. Sprayed a shitload of carb cleaner in the carb and have fresh plugs, wires, and distributor cap.

Let me know what I can do to get the roughness out of it.

One other thing. This thing has sat on someone else's yard since July of 06 until now.

Just a shadetree type fellow, trying to get a helping hand.:)

·
Registered
227 Posts
Have you adjusted the timing at all. Does it ever diesel on you (run on after you turn the key off)? Have you checked for vacuum leaks? Start it and leave the air cleaner assembly on, spray some starting fluid, or choke cleaner around the bottom of the carb and the vacuum lines running into it. If the idle fluctuates when you do that, you have a vacuum leak. Quite common for an older jeep, especially one which has been sitting for a long time.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
This happened with my '87 YJ. I floats in the stock Cater 2bbl carb were saturated, and the vacuum lines kept coming off. Rebuild the carb, or upgrade to a Weber, Holley 2bbl or the Howell Throttle Body if your wallet allows you.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I had the same problem with my '89 and just upgraded to a Weber carb and love it!

·
Registered
119 Posts
same here,

I had a terrible time with my carter carb I bought a rebuilt one and installed it and was better but still had no power so many vac lines it was scarey to look at. But I upgraded to the MC2100 and it has been a dream ever since. runs great starts fine idles perfect and tons of power when I give it gas. just vrooom on up the road. Very happy with my experience. good luck
Bern

1 - 5 of 5 Posts