Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering buying a JK unlimited but i dont know much about them. For anybody who has them, how is the space in the back seat? Is the 3.8L have a decent amount of power? Any info on the unlimited is appreciated!
-Keep Jeepin

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
I am considering buying a JK unlimited but i dont know much about them. For anybody who has them, how is the space in the back seat? Is the 3.8L have a decent amount of power? Any info on the unlimited is appreciated!
-Keep Jeepin
So, you're not looking at a '12? They have the 3.6L engine. The earlier models have the 3.8.

Space in the back seat is fine. It's a four door. Seats fold down. Cargo space in back. You can put your 2.5 kids, wife, dog and groceries in it with ease, and still have room to spare.

Okay, enough with the technical crap. Here's the good stuff:

Top and doors come off, and it'll handle most off-road excursions just fine, bone stock. :D

What's not to love?

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
^^^^^dont think there's a better way to say it

I love mine. The back seat is a little small but it's whats expected from a small SUV. The engine is underpowered (hence bad MPGs) but it works. Cargo is probably best in class for off road vehicles

·
Registered
77 Posts
Exactly what kbbwolf said except we don't take our .5 kid with us. I was actually surprised by the amount of space it has in the back. I don't care much for the rear seating position, too upright & not adjustable but the kids can walk if they want! We have other options so I wouldn't take it on long trips with adults in the back be it's fine with the kids.

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
IP0VV3R said:
^^^^^dont think there's a better way to say it

I love mine. The back seat is a little small but it's whats expected from a small SUV. The engine is underpowered (hence bad MPGs) but it works. Cargo is probably best in class for off road vehicles
I'm also used to large SUVs and trucks with V8 so...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Love my unlimited. Perfect room for a couple of adults in the back and plenty of room in the back. Not gonna get up and go, but it's not a drag racer. Haven't had any issues at all with cargo space. Absolutly the best vehicle I have ever owned!

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Another piece of advice: The 3.8L is kind've a turd. Be sure to get the lowest gearing offered for the model you're interested in. That would be 4.10 for the Rubicon, and 3.73 for the others.

It's a $50 option from Chrysler, but if you don't do it and later decide you made a mistake, it'll cost $1500 to change.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a friend who recently rented a 11 JKU. He said basicaly what ive been hearing: Back seats have a pretty fair amount of room, but he also had a complaint about the motor. Since its an 11 it has to have the 4.8L, and he just said it didnt have to much take-off power. This will be a street jeep though for me so would it really matter?

·
Grampie
783 Posts
I love my Unlimited! The 3.6L has plenty of pickup for a daily driver. I take 2 to 4 granddaughters/friends to school every day, and they love it too! Can't wait for warm weather to take the top off!

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
I have a friend who recently rented a 11 JKU. He said basicaly what ive been hearing: Back seats have a pretty fair amount of room, but he also had a complaint about the motor. Since its an 11 it has to have the 4.8L, and he just said it didnt have to much take-off power. This will be a street jeep though for me so would it really matter?
As I said in post #2, it has a 3.8L. The '12's have a 3.6 that turns out about 80 more hp and is quite a bit quicker.

With the 3.8, problems will arise if you decide to add some larger tires, heavy aftermarket bumpers, etc. Hence, my advice in post #7. Having the lowest available gearing will mitigate the loss of power...somewhat.

The 3.6 is much more forgiving in regards to bigger tires and the like. However, I'd still go for the low gearing.

·
Registered
105 Posts
How long is the cargo areain a JKU with the seats folded forward? Can I assume the cargo area in the 2 door is just 20" shorter?

·
Registered
118 Posts
So, you're not looking at a '12? They have the 3.6L engine. The earlier models have the 3.8.

Space in the back seat is fine. It's a four door. Seats fold down. Cargo space in back. You can put your 2.5 kids, wife, dog and groceries in it with ease, and still have room to spare.

Okay, enough with the technical crap. Here's the good stuff:

Top and doors come off, and it'll handle most off-road excursions just fine, bone stock. :D

What's not to love?
That's the best description I've ever heard...:thumb:

My JKU has more room in the back seat and cargo area than my old Range Rover Sport. The engine feels powerful enough for what I need, and everything else about the Jeep is superior as kbwwolf has already alluded to.

Only vehicle I have ever owned where I still have no buyers remorse. NONE.

·
Registered
519 Posts
The cargo area, take the back seat out of a TJ and make it four inches wider (that's with the back seats up). The back seat, I routinely drive the guys around on lunch/dinner runs and bar hoping since I can fit me +4. I have had 3 adults in the back, 2 were well over 200 and the guy in the middle was 180. I still don't know how the youngest and skinniest got shot gun, I didn't care I got to drive my jeep.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Anyone ever modified the back seats in a 4 door? They are too upright and I would like them to be more comfortable for the folks that ride in the back. I know, I know it's a jeep not a luxury "driving Miss Daisy" car but until the kids are grown and it's paid off, its a family car

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As I said in post #2, it has a 3.8L. The '12's have a 3.6 that turns out about 80 more hp and is quite a bit quicker.

With the 3.8, problems will arise if you decide to add some larger tires, heavy aftermarket bumpers, etc. Hence, my advice in post #7. Having the lowest available gearing will mitigate the loss of power...somewhat.

The 3.6 is much more forgiving in regards to bigger tires and the like. However, I'd still go for the low gearing.
The 4.8L was a typo, i meant 3.8. I realize the '12 has the better 3.6. I will probebly get an earlier model though. Sereral of my buddies just thought that the 3.8 was a dud. Thanks for the imput. All posts are greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
The 4.8L was a typo, i meant 3.8. I realize the '12 has the better 3.6. I will probebly get an earlier model though. Sereral of my buddies just thought that the 3.8 was a dud. Thanks for the imput. All posts are greatly appreciated!
In all fairness, the 3.8 is probably fine until you start adding bigger tires, heavy bumpers, etc.

As you said in post #8, you'd be okay using it as a street rig. :thumb:

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:whistling: My '08 JKUR is a wondrous off-road suv, it'll go anywhere and even though I have a trailer, my wife and I have slept in the back--seats down--plenty roon--I'm 6'5"

The 3.8L v6 has oodles of power and good mileage--you just need to provide the proper diff. gears and then a whole new world opens up--

The new 3.6l is somewhat better, but thats what always happens--there's no loss in the 3.8l--just "adjustit"

Good luck

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

·
Registered
39 Posts
Cargo space with the second row seating in-use is about 4x3x3, with seats folded you have about 6x3x3. Kids should have plenty of leg room for med-long trips. Adults may find the back seats uncomfortable for extended periods. A wrangler may not be the best choice for a family car.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
:whistling: My '08 JKUR is a wondrous off-road suv, it'll go anywhere and even though I have a trailer, my wife and I have slept in the back--seats down--plenty roon--I'm 6'5"

The 3.8L v6 has oodles of power and good mileage--you just need to provide the proper diff. gears and then a whole new world opens up--

The new 3.6l is somewhat better, but thats what always happens--there's no loss in the 3.8l--just "adjustit"

Good luck

:dance::rofl: JIMBO
Thanks for the help guys! Im only 16 so i have yet to learn alot of this stuff. When you talk about the differential gears, what do you mean exactly? Once i have my JKU, i will have it for a few years so i really want to take good care of it. That is of course, granted there aint uncarted territory at my cousins ranch ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts