Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I haven't posted but I really need help as there is no one willing to help me. And no I can't take it someplace as the Jeep won't start. I've had this issue for a year now and just want someone to come down to Florence and help me figure out what's going on. Are there any Jeepers willing to help?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Does it have spark? Does it have fuel? What have you tried?

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does it have spark? Does it have fuel? What have you tried?
A new alternator beginning of the year, fuses replaced, new battery. Has half a tank with additives since it's been sitting for awhile. I can turn on to radio but nothing else.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Guessing then it will not crank over. Verify the battery connections and the other end of the battery cables. Take them off, clean the surfaces and reinstall. Have you tried Jumping it?

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guessing then it will not crank over. Verify the battery connections and the other end of the battery cables. Take them off, clean the surfaces and reinstall. Have you tried Jumping it?
I can jump it, but once I turn off the ignition it won't restart. Cleaned three battery terminals, put on new anti seize lubricant. Right now, the battery is disconnected to try to save some of it.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Well if I was you I would have the battery checked. Just because it is new doesn't mean that it isn't bad.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
325 Posts
Do you have a volt meter? Where did you put the jumper cable clamps, on the battery directly or did you put the positive on the battery and the ground on a metal part someplace?​

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you have a volt meter? Where did you put the jumper cable clamps, on the battery directly or did you put the positive on the battery and the ground on a metal part someplace?​
We do, and that's why I need someone to come help figure it out. Put directly in positive/negative and to another vehicle to jump. Nothing is working.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Stupid question. Is the battery in correctly? Buddy bought a battery and the positive and negative were backwards compared to the old one. Put your meter on it and see what it reads. Keep it on the battery and have somebody crank it and see what it does.

I am sorry I am working a lot right now and cant come look at it. Worked 7 days 39 hours OT last week.

I understand the frustration and can help you trouble shot here. If you are fed up with it and nobody can make it to you I suggest you get it towed to a shop.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Take the battery to a local auto parts store and have it load tested. Just because it shows the correct volts doesn't mean it has the amps required to start the engine. I've seen "new" batteries that are bad right off the shelf. If you can jump start the Jeep is has got to be a bad battery.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Take the battery to a local auto parts store and have it load tested. Just because it shows the correct volts doesn't mean it has the amps required to start the engine. I've seen "new" batteries that are bad right off the shelf. If you can jump start the Jeep is has got to be a bad battery.
We've taken the last 4 batteries including this one and battery has been drained everytime.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
have you put the battery on a charger to get it up to full charge?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Will it start with the new battery? How long dies it take to drain the battery?

·
Registered
879 Posts
Check out this article:
https://www.lifewire.com/why-car-battery-keeps-dying-4125506

If you install a fully charged battery does the Jeep start? If so, how long does it take before it won't start without a jump? Does it have to sit over night for the battery to go dead?

Assuming your new alternator is good and the belt is installed properly and has enough tension on it to turn the alternator I'd do this next:

Replace the battery cables and clean all ground strap connections.

I always wondered about that light under the hood staying on after shutting the hood. Check it in the dark to see if it is on with the hood closed.

If a fully charged battery is going dead quickly I'd be looking for something in the charging system - Alternator, battery cables, belt.

If the battery slowly goes dead sitting I'd be looking for a light or something else that is drawing current when the Jeep is off.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
have you put the battery on a charger to get it up to full charge?
We've had the auto store fully charge it.

Will it start with the new battery? How long dies it take to drain the battery?
It will start, but then completely die after I turn off the ignition and won't restart.

·
Registered
325 Posts
When you jump start it will it start over and over again? Try taking the battery form the jumper car and putting it in the jeep.

Fully charge the battery with the cables off. Put you meter on it and note what the voltage is. Now connect the cables and note what the voltage is. Also did the cables spark when you put them back on? Turn the key to the trun position and note what the voltage is. Start the jeep and note what the voltage is.

Post the results on here.

If you see a voltage drop of more than about 0.5 to 1 volt start pulling fuses and testing voltage to see what system is causing the drain.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
When you jump start it will it start over and over again? Try taking the battery form the jumper car and putting it in the jeep.

Fully charge the battery with the cables off. Put you meter on it and note what the voltage is. Now connect the cables and note what the voltage is. Also did the cables spark when you put them back on? Turn the key to the trun position and note what the voltage is. Start the jeep and note what the voltage is.

Post the results on here.

If you see a voltage drop of more than about 0.5 to 1 volt start pulling fuses and testing voltage to see what system is causing the drain.
Once I find someone to help me, I will post results. Will try to get husband to help today, but no guarantee.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My husband's coworker works on Jeeps and is willing to come over in the next two weeks to help. Thank you for the advice.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Please keep us posted. Sorry I cant make it to help. Work and the holidays have me all tied up.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Husband's co worker flaked out on me today. So I'm going to find another way to get it done. Whenever that is, I'll post what the meter says. One question is, should I post results before I start pulling fuses, or after?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts