Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is best place to get s new Tj key? Local dealership wants $35 for just key and doesn't even say jeep... Recommendations?

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Where is best place to get s new Tj key? Local dealership wants $35 for just key and doesn't even say jeep... Recommendations?
Depends on if its chipped or not. You can go to Walmart and they will make you a copy. Of course, it won't say jeep..

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
35 sounds reasonable considering how much chipped ones cost. Get a stencil or a hot knife and have at it

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
35 bucks? I was thinking of getting one for mine, since my key is pretty worn and the lock won't turn backwards to ACC. I was hoping a new key might help. I don't know if it's worth 35 bucks to take a chance or not.

Doesn't help either of us any, but I had one made for my wife's Kia Sedona. Walked in, gave them the VIN and proof of ownership and they made the key on the spot. 8 bucks :thumb:

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Found Jeep blanks on Ebay

·
Registered
268 Posts
You can get one at walmart for about 2 bucks and it wont say jeep either , that's what I did .

·
Registered
123 Posts
Seems like Quadratec sells neat ignition key blanks that look like a rock on the hand end. They want $16 dollars for the regular blanks, $22 for the transponder version.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I took mine to a local locksmith, only cost a few dollars. I wasn't aware that WalMart did it, and Home Depot is a bit of a drive... and I wrote Jeep on mine for clarity, but it isn't so classy :)

·
Registered
487 Posts
I opted for Walmart and got 3 keys for less than $10 (don't remember the exact price). Sure, it doesn't say Jeep, but is it that big of a deal?

·
Registered
163 Posts
I need a spare key for my 04 TJ how do I know if it's chipped or not ?

·
Registered
715 Posts
Is the original key Black or Greyish? Grey are chipped. Might be year differences too, still learning the Wrangler way of life!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I need a spare key for my 04 TJ how do I know if it's chipped or not ?
A lot of chain stores now have an electronic proximity scanner that they use to check if keys are chipped or not. They are accurate and will tell you at no cost if you ask. Im guessing they got tired of copying keys only to have folks come back when the copy won't turn over the ignition. I know at least in NC, Home Depot & Lowes charge about $35 to copy a chipped key, and $3 for a non-chip blank. Like others have said, if you get your own blanks you can ( and should) use a local locksmithing shop.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I just paid $277 for a new key. My new 2009 Wrangler only came with one and I wanted/needed a spare. Didn't seem to have any other options.

So I'm using the new shiny one...and keeping the old one for the back-up...

I had some major sticker shock though....lol...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts