Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1992 YJ 4.0
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So it looks like I’m going to need some new leaf springs for my ‘92 soon. I know nothing about this!!
Since I have to buy new ones should I go ahead and get some that lift 2.5 inches or so???
I’ve seen a few kits around $500 that come with shocks as well…seems like a decent deal.
What should I know about this??
I don’t plan on soing much off-roading aside from driving on the beach where I live.
Any knowledge is greatly appreciated!!

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Car
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Car
Wheel Car Tire Automotive parking light Land vehicle
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

·
Super Moderator
15,022 Posts
New springs will make a lot of difference.
Don't buy a cheap lift kit. You'll be unhappy and end up selling the Jeep or buying a better lift.
If I were to buy a 2 1/2" spring lift kit, I'd go with the Rubicon Express. Some folks say OME is better, but I don't think the ride difference between OME and RE justifies the higher cost. Plus, OME has proprietary bushings that add to the cost.
If you decide on the RE kit, buy a set of braided stainless brake hoses (set of 3) rather than using the solid extensions that come with the kit.

BTW, Don't buy a cheap spring lift kit. Save your money until you can buy a quality kit.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
1992 YJ 4.0
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just read through the lift kit sticky in the tech section…what a lot to take in.
I really just want to go the simplest way possible.
Can I just get four Rubicon Express 2.5 springs and swap them without any other modifications???
If not, I’d be fine with stock replacement springs…doing this as a “have to” more than a “want to”.
Font Screenshot Parallel Number Circle

·
Super Moderator
15,022 Posts
If you buy just the springs, you'll also have to buy longer shocks and longer brake hoses. That's why the manufacturers offer kits, so that a Jeep owner can have everything that's known to work well together.
Some more experienced Jeepers may suggest buying the components separately. I don't suggest this for an owner with less experience.

It appears you're already running 31-10.5-15 tires. If you're not rubbing your tires while doing what you normally do, a set of stock springs should be sufficient. Do you have a body lift?
General Spring in Kansas City, or one of the several Wrangler Forum vendors can supply stock or lifted springs.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
5,347 Posts
Judging from the condition of the leafs and the rust on your oil pan it looks like your due for new shocks anyway. If your on a budget look into Monroe schocks through Napa or Rock Auto, decent shocks at decent price. Made by same company that make Rancho Shocks

Reactions: dvn4life1972
1 - 7 of 7 Posts