Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so my friend is going to give me his 98 wrangler for my beat subaru but the only issue there is, is that the motor block is destroyed. ive been searching and searching for a tj 2.5l for weeks now and cant find anything or when i do find something its for like 1500 to 2100. i keep seeing yj 2.5l motors for dirt cheap though sometimes around 350 bucks. now my question is while searching ebay for a motor i found a 2.5 and the add says it will fit 1991 to 2002 wranglers. so does this mean that all amc 2.5l are the same and i could just swap all my sensors and such over to a yj 2.5 block and reuse my head? or would the yj head still work?

·
Registered
892 Posts
I believe all 2.5's are the same.
however 97+ are FI so you need to swap things from the blown engine.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Computer, wiring harness, all the sensors (fuel, crank, camshaft, coolant temp, etc etc) if I were to guess.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
will all the sensor bolt to/direct fitment to the older block? and will my 98 head bolt to the older block?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
if the blocks are the same though why wouldnt everything switch over easily?would my intake manifold bolt to the older head?

·
Registered
341 Posts
it is going to be tough.
lots of TJ 2.5L but Jeepers will drive them into the dirt

whats your location ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just found out that the 2.5 block was exactly the same from at least the 91 to 2002 wrangler and all I will have to do I swap my intake and exhaust manifolds over to the block and switch my oil pan over. I live in western massachusetts so there are a shit ton of junk yards around here. So basicly all I'm looking for at this point is a 2.5l block.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts