Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, I took my Wrangler in to have the tires rotated. A couple months later I go to get the keyed lug socket for the one lug on each wheel that is keyed but the stupid tire shop never put my keyed lug socket back. I called them, they say "sorry". But they have no idea where it would be in their shop, even if it's in their shop.

Can I buy a new one? Are they standard by make, model, year, etc? Where would I look?

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
Yes you can buy a new one. Check to glove box or console for the key I’d card. If no then need to figure out the brand. I know some of them like McGard will send you a new key if you mail them a good picture. Cost about $15 bucks. Good luck, Lee.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
FYI.. most Jeep dealers have a MASTER Key set - They can remove the lug. Recommend call service to ensure that this dealer has the key set.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
YouTube will show you how you can easily defeat any lugnut lock faster than you can take them off with the right socket.

·
Premium Member
7,485 Posts
uwhusky - I have come close a number of times. I have gotten so that I now check the glove box before I leave. The first time I got about a mile down the road before I pulled over to check. It was still sitting on the front of the lift track.

The McCard locks have a shoulder on them and a pattern milled into the end. The key is milled so that it fits into the pattern on the end of the lug. All three of my recent Jeeps have come with a McCard. The TJ only came with one locking lug - on the spare. The '15 and '17 both came with 5. The ones that came on the '17 are in the tool box as I have gone to the splined design.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts