Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I have always read threads on this website but never registered an account till now! (Need some help). I recently sold my 1995 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Edition (she was pretty beat) to upgrade. I found a Wrangler on craigslist from a guy north of Chicago and went to check it out. Real nice guy, owned a ton of Jeeps in the past, showed and gave me all receipts done on the car, owned it for six years, etc. He seemed very trustworthy.

I drove the Jeep home and have been driving it for a couple of weeks now. Haven't noticed a single issue. It is a little loud but I don't hear any noises, see any leaks, etc. So I was happy!

I did decide to take it into a mechanic to get it inspected and to see if there were issues with it. I got a scary phone call back from them saying they heard a knocking in the engine. From the couple weeks I've been driving it, I never heard a thing. They said if you are underneath the vehicle, you can hear something. They aren't POSITIVE it is the motor because the manifold gasket needs to be replaced and it is fairly loud underneath to begin with. They said they would have to take everything apart to confirm if it were the motor or not.

ANYWAYS, I had a couple of questions. Are they probably right about a bad motor? I'm not a car expert (I am working on it though), but I don't think I hear anything when I go underneath. At least no knocking. It's just loud.

The Wrangler is a straight six and has a touch over 151,000 miles on it. The guy told me he had taken very good care of it and by the looks and the way it ran, I believed him. I even contacted him after what the mechanic told me and he couldn't believe it. If I thought he ripped me off, I didn't expect a response. He was more than willing to help.

Lastly, if I do need a new motor, I can't fork over $4000 to put in a new one at the shop. I realize a lot of Jeep people can do these jobs at their own house. I mean I'd be willing to pay another Wrangler lover to do the job, but I just can't pay the high price a mechanic is asking for.

I hope someone reads this! Just looking for a couple answers. I love my Wrangler and I just hope their isn't anything seriously wrong with it. Thanks!

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
A bad exhaust gasket or manifold crack often sounds like a knock or a loud tick. I would not panic just yet and get the manifold gasket replaced and see how it sounds.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dextreme! My only issue is they quoted my manifold gasket repair between $750-1000. At the moment, I don't have that kind of cash to throw down. I guess that's where my worry comes in. Like I said, when I'm driving it, I don't feel or hear anything.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That sounds awful high for just a manifold gasket replacement. I'd make a few calls and get some estimates for the gasket replacement.
Thanks Slush2! I was thinking about asking around as well. Not sure if I should find a mechanic or try to find some Jeep fanatics in the area that like to work on them. I'm not sure if that's such a thing but I figure there are people out there that can do it.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Not sure if I should find a mechanic or try to find some Jeep fanatics in the area that like to work on them.
Look for Jeep clubs that meet locally in your area. Many are free or have very low dues and are a great way to meet people, find wheeling areas/events, learn mechanical tricks, and get help with problems like the one you describe.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I got my manifold gasket replaced for $400 at a real shop. If it is leaking, don't drive it much until you fix it. The leak makes the engine run rich and you'll be replacing a cat converter too and maybe O2 sensor.

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.