Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, something went in my transmission and i thought it was the release bearing, but after pulling the transmission out today it's shot. Jeeps an 88 and I seem to remember reading negative things about the AX-5 tranny. I'll likely have this rebuilt, but I'd like to know if there is too much downside with this transmission. Anyone know?

·
Registered
86 Posts
they used the ax5 on the 4cyl and i am not sure but i think they still might..check on criegslist..ya might find a nice low mile one cheaper than a rebuild..

·
Registered
14 Posts
puckguet

Wasn't '88 the year of the wonderfully horrendous Puegot tranny? What engine you got?

My brief research shows if you find 1 AX15 outta another Jeep you'll be fine. If you wanna upgrade from the Jeep realm... well... what do the other have to say?

HTH

JC

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not really looking to upgrade, but I know I heard something negative about trannys that year. Mine is the ax-5 (2.5 liter engine) so I should be good. Would like to keep this repair to a minimum. I think my best bet is to go have my existing transmission rebuilt. I'll stop by a shop today and see how much that costs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts