Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just took my 98 wrangler to an quick oil change place to get an oil change (first one since I bought the car approx. 600 miles ago). The mechanic tried to insist that I need a complete engine flush, fuel injection service, and that my jeep oil smelt burnt. He let me smell but it smelled exactly the same as any other oil I've ever changed. Was he trying to just get me to buy all these useless services? He mentioned that my coolant no longer had any bleaching agent in it which is wh he recommended the engin flush but I've never heard of that before.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Vinsfeld said:
Just took my 98 wrangler to an quick oil change place to get an oil change (first one since I bought the car approx. 600 miles ago). The mechanic tried to insist that I need a complete engine flush, fuel injection service, and that my jeep oil smelt burnt. He let me smell but it smelled exactly the same as any other oil I've ever changed. Was he trying to just get me to buy all these useless services? He mentioned that my coolant no longer had any bleaching agent in it which is wh he recommended the engin flush but I've never heard of that before.
Figured I'd ask here first in case these are known issues and he wasn't trying to scam me. Sorry for typos, on my iPhone.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Maybe it is just me but I have never heard of an "engine flush". Might be a new service you can get. But with a '98 I am not sure if I would do such a thing as some of the sludge you may have in that old of an engine could be preventing current leaks. With any older vehicle you run the risk of creating leaks when you do such things as a transmission flush, etc. because it clears out that "gunk" that was preventing a leak. In the case of the transmission example I would just do a fluid/filter exchange and not the full "flush" because of what I stated. Just not sure about that engine flush as I haven't ever heard of that service.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Was he trying to just get me to buy all these useless services?

A "mechanic" at an oil change place is the last person I would rely on for diagnosis. Those places make their money upselling services to unwitting customers. It does not necessarily mean your vehicle doesn't need maintenance depending on the miles, service history, etc.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I figured as much, now that I am at my computer I can type better. My jeep is a 4.0l, with 100,480 miles. I inspected the coolant myself, and it looks like normal coolant, the overflow tank itself looks a little cloudy, but nothing out of the normal. I also want to mention that prior to the oil change itself, the oil was dark in color, but no where near sludge level. I do not have any other maintenance records on my Jeep, but I bought it off a good friend, and he told me it was well maintained. I think down the road I will bring it to a jeep mechanic for a better inspection, but wanted to post on here in case there was any unknown aspect of owning a jeep that I was unaware of.

The engine flush he had told me about, I assumed that he meant radiator flush, because that's the fluid he pointed out to me, but having installed a radiator on my other car, I figured I could just do that myself if it really warranted that act, seeing as he was gonna charge $80 for it. He had also mentioned that my injectors were not operating efficiently and wanted to do some $40 fuel injector thing as well, which is a rip off too, because I know he would just dump the $5.00 fuel injector cleaner into the tank, and I've read all those articles proving that it does nothing and is a waste of money. I highly doubt they would have pulled each injector and given it a proper cleaning/repair.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I fell for the fuel injector cleaning at Firestone a few years back and my Jeep didn't run right for months after that. Took back multiple times and they couldn't fix the high idle they caused. Ended up having to change the TPS and IAC. Never again. Rad flush is easy, save the money.

I also am extremely wary of anything the oil change places tell me I really need to have done so I generally avoid them at all cost. I used to work in the courts and saw way too many lawsuits against the quicky change places that forgot to tighten the drain plug or filter and the owner burned up the motor. Happened to me once but I luckily saw the drips in the driveway and tightened the oil filter to fix it. I have an actual repair shop nearby and they do all my maintenance and repairs and will drive me to work and back.

Ohh, another reason I don't go to quick oil change places. I once had the "expert" tell me that I was due for a freon change as it's recommended every 30k miles. Never went back there.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,630 Posts
Quick Lube places like Jiffy Lube are notorious for pushing extra-cost work that isn't needed. My local Jiffy Lube even told me that the air filter in my wife's car was "so filthy" they were surprised the engine could even run. They pushed me to change it for $79.95. The problem with that is that I had personally changed it 2 weeks prior and it was pristine. When I grabbed the manager and forced my way out to the shop floor and insisted they show me the "filthy" air cleaner, they were embarrassed when they couldn't even figure out how to open the air filter box. They hadn't even seen the air filter, they were just pushing extra-cost work on me. The oil change was free that day. I normally always change my oil and filters but we were leaving on a trip later that day and I didn't have time.

Learn how to change your own fluids and you'll save a lot of $$$ and worry about whether or not they're just trying to take advantage of you as many quick lube joints do when they think they can get away with it.

·
Registered
923 Posts
x2 learn to change your own fluids at least the oil since thats more frequent so you can avoid those crooked salesman

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
The engine flush he had told me about, I assumed that he meant radiator flush, because that's the fluid he pointed out to me, but having installed a radiator on my other car, I figured I could just do that myself if it really warranted that act, seeing as he was gonna charge $80 for it.

For $80 all he would've done is a drain and fill not a flush of the system.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts