Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:pullinghair:

Its a 2001 TJ 6Cyl Manual with 116000.

I bought this back in december as a second vehicle. Just dropped it off at a local Jeep specialized mechanic. Needs an O2 sensor, a new muffler and pipe, and, both rear trailing arms are rusted and need to be repaired, and some leaky seals. He quoted be at roughly $3000 for parts and labor. These are all just to pass inspection.

My concern is: Will something else go wrong in 6 months related to the rust? What are your thoughts, experiences, opinions on repairing the frame VS selling the jeep? I know "is it worth it" is subjective... but Is it worth it? My major concern is the frame repair. Are those pre-fab arms strong? Do they last? Are they worth it?

Its a second vehicle, would use for light off-roading...

·
Registered
301 Posts
:pullinghair:

Its a 2001 TJ 6Cyl Manual with 116000.

I bought this back in december as a second vehicle. Just dropped it off at a local Jeep specialized mechanic. Needs an O2 sensor, a new muffler and pipe, and, both rear trailing arms are rusted and need to be repaired, and some leaky seals. He quoted be at roughly $3000 for parts and labor.

You should find out what all parts he is quoting. Then go to rockauto.com to see what the cost of those parts will be (I'm guessing $250 -$300 max.

Labor will be a little tougher but assuming $100 hour they are saying they need almost 30 hours to replace an 02 sensor, muffler and seals (do you know which seals?). I'm not familiar with the term trailing arms. I'm assuming he means control arms. Someone else on this site might be able to educate us.

Either way, at that rate I would be hunting down other quotes. That seems about $2000 too high. Really depends on what seals and what trailing arms are. Regardless, I wouldn't pay someone $3000 to repair a 2001 vehicle. Fortunately you own a Jeep and there are guys who would likely do those repairs over their lunch break! Sell it if that's really an accurate quote.

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
as noted, just based on what you said above its a few hundred in parts.. max.. I would look at another shop to see how it compares..

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks.
They've been really helpful and are a respected shop in the area (so I hope they dont find this post) Here is the list of stuff. He quoted $3K for whats needed and about $4K for everything...

I could do some of this, I just dont have the time or the space. Hell, I would even be will to buy a harbor freight welder and figure it out... Its tough finding time with a 3year old running around.

NEEDED FOR INSPECTION:
  • Rear axle seals $425 (on a Dana 44 you have to replace the bearing at the same time) --> MAYBE. If they're not dripping onto the brakes, then im good for now
  • Rear main seal and oil pan gasket $500
  • Muffler and tail pipe $460
  • 02 sensor $100
  • Both sides of the frame at the trailing arms are rusting through, will need replaced soon $1,600(+-) --> Wasnt 100% certain if this was needed for inspection

NOT MANDATORY:
  • Rear axle brake lines are rusty $150
  • Down pipe flange leaking $45(+)
  • Driver door is seized $45
  • Evap line to canister is rusted $100
  • Both pinion seals leak $125/ea

This was the trailing arm: http://www.jeep4x4center.com/auto-rust-center-trailing-arm-mounts-rear-driver-side-art-124l.html

·
Registered
207 Posts
[*]Both sides of the frame at the trailing arms are rusting through, will need replaced soon $1,600(+-) --> Wasnt 100% certain if this was needed for inspection
Required for inspection or not, I'd imagine that would be the main priority of what would need to be fixed.

I can see fixing the exhaust and the o2 sensor for inspections, but does your state really check if you need to have the axle seals replaced? I'm not saying that you shouldn't get it done, just curious to see if you're able to get passed on inspection without doing those just yet.

I want to take a guess that this is also the garage that was doing your inspection?

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
Not to be a "bad guy" but I would move from PA and start over working on the JEEP.....just giving ya some guff......I used to live in PA....past tense.

Starting at the top....most TJs have a rear main leak.....Rear axle seals sounds about right but you could do a lot of this work yourself for a whole lot cheapier.......muffler and tailpipe seem "over priced"...02 sensors are very easy to replace IMO and average about $60 some more/ some less....Again agreeing with most everyone else seems high...also there are quite few JEEp clubs back there might find or look local find someone willing to "help/ teach" for beer and pizza and maybe a LITTLE pocket money...say $50-$100 a day they help ya do everything...depending on parts prices...might get out for $1500 if you were real generous with your friend/ helper. Plus you would be learning yourself.....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys —
Im going to see if there is anyone else local or on this forum who would be interested in teaching and helping me out. Especially with the frame repair. Thanks for the advice. Im sure you'll see some posts in the near future where im swearing up a storm for listening to you all.

Ill keep you posted.

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
now that I am reading frame is rusted vs. the arm it self..that changes things.. on the price.. if you get a chance post some pic's of the rusted frame...

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Yes, this is the problem a lot of the time when you buy a used Jeep. A lot of the time the PO used it for off-roading and hacked it up, or as a second vehicle and didn't properly maintain it or even take good care of it. When it starts to fall apart, then they sell it. You end up having to pay dearly for their neglect. Don't blame Chrysler or the Jeep. Jeeps are fun, great vehicles if you take care of them.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I bit the bullet and had the shop do it. $1600. They removed the rot and installed trailing arms on both sides. They also frame proofed the inside with Eastwood frame saver stuff. It looks great, ill post pictures soon. They also discovered that the PO did some "work" on the nutserts... which were all jacked up, so they had to repair those as well.

Now I just need to tackle the seals and I should be ready to go! Im sure ill post picks as I tackle a job. Thanks again!

·
Registered
338 Posts
That price for muffler and tail pipe is absolutely insane. Definatley go shop around on that, and whatever stuff you have left get quotes on too from other places.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts