Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I asked this question in the electronics section but didn't get any hits. Ive got a 2014 JKUR and I upgraded all speakers about a year ago along with a 5 channel Kenwood amp. So now I have 300watts going to a decent 8" Sony sub in the stock enclosure. There is definitely more bass but its not very tight and is muddier than I want.

What if I added another underseat powered sub like a Rockford Fosgate or Kicker? They have their own volume controls so I'm thinking I could fine tune the two subs to compliment each other and hopefully give me some tighter/punchier bass. I'm not necessarily looking for more bass, although when the top is off I could use some more. But just looking for better bass.

Any feedback is appreciated.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I put a sundown sd3 10 under the front seat in a fiberglass enclosure and got rid of the factory sub. I am running 500 watts to it but the 300 you have should be more than sufficient. 2015-10-19 17.32.27.jpg

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've spent more money on stereos in my years than i care to admit. Twin subs in an enclosure is fine, the variables are equal and they'll hit together, however 2 subs in different locations is typically a very bad idea. Cable length differences, interference, ohm fluctuations etc. can cause them to hit at slightly different times, which puts out a wretched echo-base effect. To do this right have to get it professionally wired.

1 sub @ 500watts would be perfect. Make sure you are experiencing the sub in person, regardless of what brand it is. If you don't have anywhere to go to hear them first, and want advice, I say it depends on the music you listen to. For the most ridiculously solid base without any flapping, go with a Kicker Solo-Baric L7 though. It's a purchase i never regretted. FWIW, they look a bit like a spare gas can so it would kind of look just right.

Edit: sorry about the typos...it's late

·
Registered
894 Posts
Is the sub still on the passenger's side rear panel or is it one of the newer ones in the cargo area under the mat?

If on the panel get rid of that panel. I did the same and added a W8 to the panel and it just plain sucked. Vibrated and rattled and did not sound right. I ended up swapping the sub panel for a flat panel and getting a small box for the sub. 10x better sound and no rattles.

·
Registered
279 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've got a 2014 so the sub is on the passenger side panel. TD83 thats the feedback I was looking for. I think two completely different subs will lead to problems. I want an under seat sub so I don't give up any cargo space.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've got a 2014 so the sub is on the passenger side panel. TD83 thats the feedback I was looking for. I think two completely different subs will lead to problems. I want an under seat sub so I don't give up any cargo space.
I have the underseat sub enclosure from a forum member Matt with a Sundown 10" and it is awesome! It does not take up any cargo room and could not be more stealth. I have a killer system in my Jeep and this sub really sounds great. The only issue you may have is waiting for Matt to have another batch ready. He makes them for under the driver or passenger seats.

Mark

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'd be interested in the same set up you have Mark. Can you point me to a thread for some info on Matt and the enclosure he builds?
Thanks

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have the Kicker Hideway under-seat sub and it works just fine. No muddiness, tight, and easily controlled when you want to increase or decrease the bass. Mine is under the driver's seat (was there when I bought it), but I would put it under the passenger seat if it were me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'd be interested in the same set up you have Mark. Can you point me to a thread for some info on Matt and the enclosure he builds?
Thanks
I believe his handle here is MattK11 and here is a thread that he chimes in on.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f40/best-unobtrusive-subwoofer-252652.html

I sent him a PM and he replied in a day or two. We then transitioned to email and I ordered an enclosure from him and the sub from woofersetc.com. The sub is the Sundown SD-3 dual 4 ohm and sells for $199. I just put a system in a buddy's JKU and he is waiting for Matt to have some more enclosures. If you send me a PM I will send you his email and you can contact him. If you use a good amp, this combo sounds amazing!

Mark

·
Registered
394 Posts
I believe his handle here is MattK11 and here is a thread that he chimes in on.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f40/best-unobtrusive-subwoofer-252652.html

I sent him a PM and he replied in a day or two. We then transitioned to email and I ordered an enclosure from him and the sub from woofersetc.com. The sub is the Sundown SD-3 dual 4 ohm and sells for $199. I just put a system in a buddy's JKU and he is waiting for Matt to have some more enclosures. If you send me a PM I will send you his email and you can contact him. If you use a good amp, this combo sounds amazing!

Mark

I also got my enclosure from Matt, look at pics of his enclosures in this thread post #5http://www.wranglerforum.com/f40/any-powered-subs-that-will-fit-underneath-jk-front-seat-610506.html

1 - 15 of 15 Posts