Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I want to say Hi all! I just recently purchased my first Jeep (Black 2011 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon) about a month ago and now joined the forum a few days ago.. Needless to say this is my first post!

Anyways, an unfortunate off-roading event about a week ago caused quite a bit of side-swipe damage on the passenger side including a dent towards the rear between the wheel well and the window.. I'm going to get the paint touched up and hopefully the dent can get fixed as well but its right on the crease of the body that sits just underneath of the hardtop so it may be difficult to fix. Due to this, I am now considering looking into aftermarket fender flares, especially stronger than the weak plastic ones that come stock and something more stylish. .The Smittybilt XRC Body Armor was the first thing that caught my eye. I would ofcourse complete the set with the front fenders as well. Just looking to get some opinions from people who have purchased these themselves or have atleast seen them in person. The store I will buy them from will install them for free so that is definitely a plus. This will also be my first mod. I am currently looking into purchasing 35s with all black RockStar rims from a friend as well as a 3" BDS Lift Kit and Fox Racing Shocks.

Can you Jeep experts give a newbie like myself some pointers? I intend to be doing a lot of wheeling and mudding.. I enjoy going fast so if there's anything out there which can help with avoiding tipping over that is definitely a plus!

Thanks!
:)

·
Registered
349 Posts
I saw a Jeep for sale today at the local dealer with these front and rear, and I have to say they look cheap and lame IMO. It screams "hey look at me!!!!" in a particularly poser kind of way. Granted I've been a lot more conservative in my mods throughout the years, so my opinion may not be reflective of most. I think high school kids would find them very appealing.

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
They are stout. My friend has them on his jeep and has saved his jeep numerous times. He is one of those not afraid to wheel hard.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Remember that it will be heavy but it will surely give your vehicle a beast look. It looks great on Wranglers but does add weight, especially if you have other accessories. Also, you may have to check for rust very often.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I really like how they look however, on the Jeep I saw with them installed, they did not line up with the body panels very well close up. I have no idea if that is a product or install issue.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They are stout. My friend has them on his jeep and has saved his jeep numerous times. He is one of those not afraid to wheel hard.
Yeah i guess you could say im the same way. i love pushing the limits already and thats how i already slightly wrecked it so early. Ive been dirtbike racing my whole life and have a buddy ive been wheelin with these past few months and does some pretty sketchy stuff and drifts like no other. I know Jeeps arent made for drifting but i cant help but want to do it. Maybe these xrc fenders are a good idea for me aince theyll add weight!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Remember that it will be heavy but it will surely give your vehicle a beast look. It looks great on Wranglers but does add weight, especially if you have other accessories. Also, you may have to check for rust very often.
Is adding weight bad...? I feel like itd probably be good for a driver like myself since it should help prevent tipping when hauling ass around corners.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I really like how they look however, on the Jeep I saw with them installed, they did not line up with the body panels very well close up. I have no idea if that is a product or install issue.
Hmm. Ill make sure to speak with the technician at 4 wheel parts about it since they will be doing the install. Last thing i want is for the fenders to be unaligned and look like garbage. . Though from all the videos and pictures ive seen online theyve looked fine to me!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have them and its definitely product because I've seen other Jeeps that have them and it did not line up, it did not line up with mine either unfortunately

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hmm. Ill make sure to speak with the technician at 4 wheel parts about it since they will be doing the install. Last thing i want is for the fenders to be unaligned and look like garbage. . Though from all the videos and pictures ive seen online theyve looked fine to me!

did you ever get them done i am considering these for my jeep and I'm curious if you did them have you had any rust issues?

·
Registered
575 Posts
I've seen these kits on a few Jeeps and they always look very stout. Hope you like rivets (because there are many shiny rivets on the sides). However, everyone I talked to about this kit universally said that it is 1) VERY heavy and 2) is a gigantic pain in the ass to install correctly.

On some Jeeps I've seen it installed shoddily and while it looks OK from afar, up close you can very easily see it not quite lining up with the body.

To sum it up, definitely a unique looking and sturdy kit, but heavy and difficult to install correctly (apparently).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts