Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am needing the part numbers for a 1997 jeep TJ gas tank 15 and 19 gallon

Also I am needing the part numbers for a 1998 jeep TJ gas tanks 15 and 19 gallon

I need to be sure the shop put in the same size tank

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bumper Auto part

This is the part number off the tank that is now in my jeep. I was told it was out of a 1998

·
Registered
881 Posts
I think those are both 15 gal tanks. They're the same as a 19 gal tank, except the vent tube extends down into the tank so you can't put more than 15 gallons of gas in it.
The 19 gal tank has a part # 52018768

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know that was true for my 1995 YJ but I was always told the the TJ actually had different size tanks

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
At the parts store there is actually different part numbers for the fuel sending units for 15 and 19 gallon tanks

·
Registered
881 Posts
The fuel sending units would be different because if you put the 19 gal unit in the restricted 15 gal tank it would never read over about 3/4 full. If you cut the extention off of the vent hose in a 15 gal tank then your 15 gal sending unit will read full for a long time.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So what I am thinking is I need to take the tank back out and take it back to where I got it and tell them I need the 19 gallon tank. Is that what yall would do? If so I am going to need the part numbers for a 19 gallon tank so I know they are giving me the right part.
I have seen all years TJ fuel tank part numbers listed on the forum before but can't find now.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
no, I would just trim the vent tube... search and you will see many have done it., You'll have to change out fuel pumps tho...

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok after searching for two days I finally found the post with the part numbers. I am going to post it here also for other people that might need it.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So according to this the tank I had from the factory was a 19 gallon, and the junk yard gave me a 15 gallon tank. I will be taking it back tomorrow and get the correct size. I think that is the cheaper fix. Won't cost me anything

·
Registered
451 Posts
Let me speak up here. I owned a 1997 TJ SE with a 15 gallon tank. From June '96 to Febraury '97 Jeep used two different sized tanks, and you got an extra 1.5" of ground clearance in the rear with the 15 gallon tank. Then from March '97 to the end of production, all TJ's came with the same sized tank, and multiple part numbers were used, with a longer vent tube for a tank downsized to 15 gallons.

A model year '97 Jeep might have two different tanks. The easiest way to tell is if it hangs down in the rear as low as other TJ's. IMHO the rare true 15-gallon tanks are desirable if you are into rock crawling, for the extra clearance.

AFAIK the tank, the fuel sender/pump/pickup, and the tank straps are all unique on the smaller tank.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I use mine more for daily driving with the occasional off-roading so I am needing the larger tank size.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts