Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a pic of a beautiful TJ from YouTube. I am duplicating the fenders and flares. I already swapped in a TJ grille, waiting for CJ turn signals to arrive. I want to know if anyone has cut their YJ fenders similarly so I can decide how to handle the seam at the fender and endcap. The TJ fenders do not have this, so can be cut leaving the (newly cut) end of the flat fender even with the grille. If I cut the YJ fender at the same place, there will be a seam near the edge, not sure if this is a good look or not. If I remove the end cap at the seem the new leading edge of the flat fender will be back from the leading edge of the hood and the grille by one inch. Pics and suggestions of how others have dealt with this would be appreciated. Addendum: As I look at pics of YJ and TJ factory feder flares, it appears that the YJ flares are not going to be able to be cut and look like a flat fender flare. It seems to sit lower than the TJ flares. Still - pics may help me out with all this. Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Wow, this is an old pic from when I first cut my fenders about 12 years ago. The seam is still there. I left enough lip there in the front so the seam didn't look dumb.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, that looks great. Very do-able.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, making some progress. I paid $66 for a new pair of aftermarket front TJ flares. I didn't feel great about cutting up brand new flares, but glad I did. I positioned them so that I would not have to cut any of the sheet metal. I don't need more clearance, just striving for a different look. I want to make some very small endcaps for a cleaner look, paint the grill gloss black and round off the corners of the flares with a small radius. After all is done I'll assess whether I ought to cut away excess fender lip.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts