Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am moving my power plug for my fuel pump from the left rear wheel well to underneath the fuel pump access cover I have cut in the bed of my YJ. Does anyone have any idea where I can get the plug that the fuel pump plugs into. My local jeep salvage yard refuses to cut a wiring harness to sell me the plug and I wont cut the harness on my jeep. If I do this and the new pump ever fails alongside the road I can change the pump without having to get down underneath the jeep to plug the new pump in everything will be accessable underneath the cover. I already have the pump pigtail and plug from a non working pump.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Run a quality pump and you wont have to worry about it. My 1994 YJ is running it's original fuel pump 23 years and 116 miles later. The fuel tank is not that hard to remove cutting a hole in the floor is a honky way to change a fuel pump when you only have to do it about every 25 years.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a new pump and sending unit and I don't care if I never have to replace the pump again I want the plug out of the wheel well and on top of the tank. As for cutting the "hokey" access hole in the bed its my Jeep and I will do as I please.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Agree with agalloch completely but to answer your question, it sounds like you want to extend the vehicle end plug. I would recommend looking on Rock Auto for the vehicle end pigtail. Then you simply cut the wires off the old pump and solder or crimp them to the replacement vehicle pigtail.

Basically like an extension cord, so you don't cut up any vehicle wiring.

Reactions: Skipga

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
I agree w the others as well and will add this....

You might reconsider adding a jumper.... you are creating another failure point... I wouldn't but if I just had to I'd cut the wire and extend it with only 1 plug point.... or cut another access hole for the plug lol

Otherwise.... you might check w your local Chrysler dealer.... a GOOD parts man will be able to look up replacement plugs by style size and number of contacts....

With 260,000 miles on my yj the only times I've ever had 'fuel pump' issues are the 3 or 4 times I've smashed the skid plate far enough to squash the tank and mangle the fuel pickup till the rubber coupler hose broke or pulled apart.....

·
Registered
722 Posts
I agree with Gottagofast, just cut the wiring a couple of inches behind the plug and extend the wires to what ever length you need. If you use solder and heat shrink over the joints it should last a long time.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree with Gottagofast, just cut the wiring a couple of inches behind the plug and extend the wires to what ever length you need. If you use solder and heat shrink over the joints it should last a long time.
I thought about that but I am not gonna cut my harness, if I cant find the plugs I will leave it as is. As for the cut in the floor I made a flush mount door that is hinged and has 2 oval head Dzus fastners it is exactly like the small access door I made in my airplane cowl for checking the oil without uncowling the airplane. It`s not to hokey.

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Agree with agalloch completely but to answer your question, it sounds like you want to extend the vehicle end plug. I would recommend looking on Rock Auto for the vehicle end pigtail. Then you simply cut the wires off the old pump and solder or crimp them to the replacement vehicle pigtail.

Basically like an extension cord, so you don't cut up any vehicle wiring.
That's exactly what I want to do, I already have the fuel pump end I got from an old junkyard pump. I don`t do crimp connections only solder and shrink sleeve. This way I have enough slack to adjust the new sending unit to read correctly with the tank still sitting in the jeep and if I ever do have to change the pump I don't have to lie on the ground with dirt falling in my eyes.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
That's exactly what I want to do, I already have the fuel pump end I got from an old junkyard pump. I don`t do crimp connections only solder and shrink sleeve. This way I have enough slack to adjust the new sending unit to read correctly with the tank still sitting in the jeep and if I ever do have to change the pump I don't have to lie on the ground with dirt falling in my eyes.

It's good to take the fuel tank off every once in a while and clean the dirt out of the skid and repaint it to keep it from rusting anyways. I have had my fuel tank off at least 3 times and i have never replaced the fuel pump. And every time the skid was rusting from mud being trapped. Rust was not to bad but it definitely needed some cleaning and a fresh coat of paint.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mine was terrible when I pulled it, there was about 3 acres of mud, clay and small animals between the tank and skid pan. I straightened out the dent in it, sandblasted and epoxy primed it and painted it. There was some corrosion starting but I caught it in time. I pressure washed the rubber liner and reglued it back in. Someone had wrung off one on the threaded strap ends off so I took a 5/16 bolt hammered one end flat and welded it onto the tab. The main reason I want to move the pump plug is I have a titanium cage and 6 screws in my neck and it aint no picnic to lie on my back and look up so I tend to ty to make things more user friendly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts