Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97 4.0 sport 5 spd
It doesn't have the towing package but I need a way to haul small trailers and such things so I was wondering if there are bumpers or something out there (specifically good quality) I could buy
I am able to build my own I would just like to look at some examples and get some ideas
Thanks guys

·
Commercial Member
3,962 Posts
The body is 3/16" A36 hot rolled steel and the clevis mounts are 1" and go through the bumper for more strength. I will put up more pics later today

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've got the factory 1 1/4" towing receiver. Drops so low, I want to ditch it and get a bumper with a 2" receiver built in. Need to make sure they are tow rated receivers though. Lots of bumpers out there that are not tow rated but look cool.
If you would want to buy my factory setup, I'll sell it to you cheap and mail it.

I'm also interested in seeing the plans for building that sweet bumper. Probably be easier to buy a bumper for $2-300, but I'd feel good about building one for myself.
Is it possibly to accomplish with my little mig welder? I want to say its supposed to do up to 3/16" steel. I don't have a plasma cutter.

·
Commercial Member
3,962 Posts
Pm me your email and I will send you the plans. And I built mine myself and I know its not rated, but I wouldn't be afraid to use it as an anchor to rappel down the grand canyon. I once moved a 4 horse trailer from one side of the body shop yard to the other, it squatted to the bumpstops, yet the hitch never moved

1 - 7 of 7 Posts