Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Kris and I'm on the organizing committee for a Rally America sanctioned race taking place July 21st and 22nd. The race will be on gravel roads in the Northwest part of Colorado near Rangely. I'm looking for volunteers who have rigs capable of doing recovery if a race car would leave the road.

Here is a brief breakdown of the jobs we need to fill:

Sweep: The sweeps job is to go through the race stage (one leg of the race) and assist any race cars that have broken down or crashed, by extracting and/or towing their vehicle to a main road where their crew can get to them. Sweeps could also be called on in an emergency to respond to a serious crash to assist also. You should have an appropriate vehicle for extract and/or towing a race vehicle, including at minimum front and rear tow points, a winch would be a plus. Some form of radio (CB and/or FRS) is needed, a Ham radio and operator would be a plus. In some cases, a radio might be assigned to you.

Marshal: You would be positioned along the race stage and ensure closed roads or driveways don't have someone come down them and get onto the race course. Marshals might also assist in crowd control at a spectator point. Some form of radio communication, including CB and/or FRS would be helpful, and a Ham radio would be a plus.

What to expect: The race is broken up into "stages", which is like 12 or so mini-races throughout the day. You will be assigned to a team that works one or two stages per day. You will travel to the stage, and assist in making sure the roads are closed and that the race stage is set up and then wait for that stage to be run. And, then you will do a LOT of waiting, while the cars finish other stages and get to your stage. If accidents or problems occur, it can delay the races well into the nighttime hours.

So, that means you might want/need:
- a reliable vehicle for all that driving
- snacks/food/drinks
- some entertainment (magazines, music, knitting, basket weaving, whatever)
- high visibility vest if you have one
- recovery gear (if you are a sweep), including tow strap, shackles, winch (if you have one), etc
- some assortment of tools

This is a video of what you would expect to see at a rally race. While Ken Block will not be at the event, there will be 40 or more other cars there doing the same thing as shown here.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QH21tuu-HLQ

Please let me know if you have any questions. You can post here or email me directly at [email protected]

·
Registered
333 Posts
Based on your first post, you are not offering volunteers food and beverages. What exactly is the benefit for volunteers? Will the race organizers, and participants be compensated?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Based on your first post, you are not offering volunteers food and beverages. What exactly is the benefit for volunteers? Will the race organizers, and participants be compensated?
Good point. We are providing lunch both days for all volunteers. We also will provide an event t-shirt, goodie bag and dinner at the awards party Saturday night. The best part of volunteering is you can't possibly get any closer to the drivers and action of the racing.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Thanks for the followup. Will you have another race this year? I'll plan to volunteer next time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts