Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, in California you need to have a mirror on the driver's side at all times. So when I take the doors off later this Summer, I need the recommendation of some top-of-the-line mirrors. I want for driver and passenger. Only problem is I cant find a site anywhere that has a brand that has great ratings. They either all shake way too much, dont sit well, etc. I even found some last year that had very little shake, even at high speeds. Thought it was the perfect match. Then on like week 2, the passenger mirror (Glass) came clean off on the freeway at 4am on the way to work.

The company sent a replacement, but do not trust. So when the doors come off soon, anyone got a brand with little-to-no-shake? Mirrors where the glass does not randomly pop off? I drive on the freeway each morning for work. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
3,115 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
I’m considering the q-tech mirrors as well. The mixed reviews has led me to continue looking for other options. As a soft top Jeeper, the view out my rear window gets murky during wet weather. As a result I’ve adapted to more use of my side mirrors. When I drive doorless I find myself checking those same mirrors. Added safety is always a plus!
I’ve seen the kit with the complete mirror replacement to mount on the A-pillar....but that’s some crazy money

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies! Those all look to be pretty legit, might have to go with 1 of those soon. The top and doors need to come off ASAP. Just as soon as I can find a place to put them

·
Registered
145 Posts
I bought the automatic mirror movers from Quadratec. While expensive at $250, to me they are worth every penny.
Agree that they are worth the price.

Just installed mine a couple weeks ago and love them. Had the regular Q-tec rectangle mirrors for a couple of years before and really didn’t like them. They were the worst part of taking the doors off, vibrated too much, whistled when driving and would fold in on very windy days.

I should have gotten the automatic mirrors from the get go.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Ive got the round Rugged Ridge version of what @jdinny posted. I run these with the full doors. I pulled the stock mirrors as soon as I could, couldnt stand them, they are huge! The stockers are bigger then the mirrors on my old ZJ, its ridiculous.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
Getting stock size mirrors in the stock locations are important and there are only really 2 mirror options which do that which I'm aware of.

These Q-tech mirrors which relocate the mirrors from the doors to the A-pillar. These address a problem other A-pillar relocations mirrors don't. They remove the A-pillar from becoming an obstruction in their design.
https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadratec/automatic-billet-aluminum-mirror-movers-door-storage-hanger-07-17-jeep-wrangler-jk

And then there's the Dietech mirror brackets where they get mounted to the hinges. They look good, they work great, but some don't like having to install mirrors after removing the doors. This is what I have and then picked up a set of OEM knock-off replacement mirrors for $60 to mount onto the brackets.
Die-Tech Off-road Mirror Brackets

Everything else falls into 4 basic compromise option categories below.

1. Options which are inexpensive, make you street legal but will shake and rattle.
2. Options which are more of a solid mount, but are smaller in size for rearward viewing while being inexpensive. (see post 2 and future Harley mirror suggestions)
3. Options which are cheap such as sticking a mirror on your side vents. Not sure on how legal they are in some states, and how well they work, but better than nothing.
4. Options where you relocate the mirrors off the door and move them to an A-pillar mount, but most of those options the A-pillar tends to obstruct the passenger side view. (see post 4 & 13)

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have a stock Harley mirror stuck in the upper hinge hole with a wing nut to snug it up. It doesn't vibrate as badly as the cj style mirrors on my YJ. Quick and easy to remove, fits in the center console. Left over from upgrading my bike, wing nut was in the bolt bin with washers leftover from something

Attachments

·
Registered
626 Posts
I'm on my 3rd year with the rugged ridge rectangular. No issues with folding in wind or vibrating. They did whistle like mad but I wrapped some para cord around them and that has been a non-issue since the mod.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
We use these from Quadratec.
I have a set of those on now. I installed them just last month. They work OK, but I find they make a whistling noise at 20-40 MPH.

I used to use a set of Olympic Safari mirrors.. They had a bit of shake at 60+ MPH, but they were still usable. https://www.olympic4x4products.com/Safari-Mirror-for-Jeep-Wrangler-JK-TJ-YJ-CJs.html

I had to go from the Olympic mirrors to the Quadratech mirrors because I started using a set of Bestop half doors. The Olympic mirrors bolt onto the door hinge, so they don't work with most of the aftermarket doors. The Quadratech mirrors bolt on the 'A' pillar leaving the door hinges free.

·
Registered
67 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Just installed the QT auto-mirrors yesterday. Had to trim the threaded portion off my tube door hinges (which is no big deal, I never put nuts on them). I do wish the prop-open feature held the mirrors open at a wider angle, it would make door removal and installation much easier. They aren't "officially" compatible with our tube door design but it works nonetheless.

I also installed Delrin hinge bushings yesterday. It turns out you can't do this with the A-pillar mirrors installed -- not enough room for a hammer to give the bushings that final tap to seat them. But not really a big deal to remove the mirrors.

One cool and very unexpected bonus is that the mirrors reduce wind buffeting at face level. I have a long beard and was always annoyed that it whips me in the face when we drive doorless. I ran an errand after installing the mirrors and my beard stayed put -- even on the highway. I felt like there was much less wind noise, too.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts