Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I got ti work I noticed a small crack in the top of my radiator. Advanced Auto Parts has a replacement for $132 and an online coupon for $50 off $100. Is there better options for not too much more money? I'm at work now so can't really search at the moment. Thanks!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'd go with a factory unit whenever possible instead of the Chinese off-brand junk you get at Advanced or other places. Sure it may have a 69 year warranty but do you wanna keep swapping it out? How long has the factory one lasted you?

If you want to upgrade since you have the chance, I'm very happy with my Mishimoto:

Jeep Wrangler YJ and TJ Aluminum Performance Radiator, 1987-2006, by Mishimoto

But again thats quite a bit more. Don't go cheap when this junk can easily keep you stuck at the trail.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'd check a local radiator repair shop. Most times they can put on a new tank and it is much cheaper than a new radiator.

·
Registered
970 Posts
WeRMopar.com has OEM radiators. That's where I got mine. Wanted to replace it once, since the original lasted much longer than most replacement radiators, especially those from Autozone, etc. with their "lifetime" warranties. Once in my lifetime is enough for radiator replacing😄

·
Knows a couple things...
49,404 Posts
I'd check a local radiator repair shop. Most times they can put on a new tank and it is much cheaper than a new radiator.
Not on a TJ's radiator where the plastic tanks are crimped and not soldered into place, it's pretty much impossible to get the tank sealed again on a modern radiator that has the plastic tanks as most all have now.

Personally I'd go with the OE Mopar radiator from WeRMopar.com - OEM Parts For Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram Vehicles as recommended above. It's a quality radiator with an all aluminum core.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I hear so much about how its best to buy an OEM radiator and not what is called a cheap China special. Does anyone know with any degree of certainty that the OEM parts are not made in China. Just because its in a Mopar package it doesn't mean its automatically made in the USA. I prefer to buy products made in the USA but I also refuse to pay twice as much for it. In order for the non-Mopar parts to be sold i.e. the radiator to be sold as a replacement for OEM it has to meet or exceed OEM specs. So if it meets the specs, what's the problem? A higher priced American made product doesn't always mean better.

·
Registered
13 Posts
We use Murray Radiators at my brothers repair shop can not remenber the last time we had to replace one. Not saying they are the best but have one in my jeep over a year and no issues.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,404 Posts
I hear so much about how its best to buy an OEM radiator and not what is called a cheap China special. Does anyone know with any degree of certainty that the OEM parts are not made in China. Just because its in a Mopar package it doesn't mean its automatically made in the USA. I prefer to buy products made in the USA but I also refuse to pay twice as much for it. In order for the non-Mopar parts to be sold i.e. the radiator to be sold as a replacement for OEM it has to meet or exceed OEM specs. So if it meets the specs, what's the problem? A higher priced American made product doesn't always mean better.
There are plenty of cheap shoddy products out there that may "meet the specs" in that they'll bolt up and pump water, but that definitely doesn't mean their quality is good.

It doesn't take much thought to realize for something to be the OE product, it has to meet the quality requirements of Jeep engineering. It's not often the low-cost bidder wins, there's far more to a QA/QC program than that. The last thing they want are multiple failures where each replacement would cost way more than any potential savings of having gone cheap.

You're assured of good quality when you buy the product with Mopar's name on the box, you're not guaranteed that the "OE replacement radiator" made by Xing Dao Radiator Factory #3 in Shanghai has that same quality. Not even close. Just like Autozone's "lifetime warranty" radiators, water pumps, etc.. That lifetime warranty in no way infers good quality. It just means they'll give you another when it fails. My labor is too expensive for me to want to replace a radiator or water pump any more often than when the earth, moon, and stars are in perfect alignment. You're assured of only a lifetime of issues if you actually keep a vehicle with one for the long-term. Autozone and similar retailers don't plan on the buyer owning the vehicle much longer after it needs a new water pump so their costs with those marketing gimmick lifetime warranties are negligible.

I have a LOT of aftermarket products on my TJ but I won't use shoddy aftermarket replacements for critical items like water pumps, alternators, starter motors, fuel pumps, etc..

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
My MOPAR radiator came with a "Heche en Mexico" stamp on it. Beats China in my book.

·
Registered
615 Posts
That still doesn't mopar is not getting their radiators made by Xing Dao Radiator Factory #3 in Shanghai for dirt cheap and putting a mopar lable on it. Look at alot of other proucts from companies in this country, oh wait this country doesn't manufacture much these days. Why is that? they get taxed for being successfull then the unions got greedy, an when did it become the employer's responsibilty to provide someone with medical insurance. I remember growing up that medical coverage use to be a carrot that was waived in front of you to get you to come work for them. This is why we don't make anything in this country anymore. People and politicians got too greedy. Just because your radiator says mexico an not china doesn't mean squat for quality. It still means cheap labor an material they just don't have to pay as much to get it into the country. Thank you NAFTA. Sorry for the rant. OEM doesn't mean its the best part or even made in the USA.

·
Registered
615 Posts
You're right, it doesn't take much to spool me up. This was not the forum for that so I'll get down off my soapbox. Please except my apologies.

·
Registered
305 Posts
That still doesn't mopar is not getting their radiators made by Xing Dao Radiator Factory #3 in Shanghai for dirt cheap and putting a mopar lable on it. Look at alot of other proucts from companies in this country, oh wait this country doesn't manufacture much these days. Why is that? they get taxed for being successfull then the unions got greedy, an when did it become the employer's responsibilty to provide someone with medical insurance. I remember growing up that medical coverage use to be a carrot that was waived in front of you to get you to come work for them. This is why we don't make anything in this country anymore. People and politicians got too greedy. Just because your radiator says mexico an not china doesn't mean squat for quality. It still means cheap labor an material they just don't have to pay as much to get it into the country. Thank you NAFTA. Sorry for the rant. OEM doesn't mean its the best part or even made in the USA.

Wow. Sorry for late response, have been gone. (Not Connected) Im betting that you sew your own clothes, forge your steel, grow your food, and never shop at Mall Wart(i dont). Hmmmmm, but what do i know?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Not on a TJ's radiator where the plastic tanks are crimped and not soldered into place, it's pretty much impossible to get the tank sealed again on a modern radiator that has the plastic tanks as most all have now.
Not sure where you've had your work done but we've done plenty of them and never had a problem other than when they first came out with the plastic tanks. Maybe your crimping tool is bad?

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Not sure where you've had your work done but we've done plenty of them and never had a problem other than when they first came out with the plastic tanks. Maybe your crimping tool is bad?
Concur. Any competent radiator shop can replace crimped-on tanks successfully. It's a routine procedure. Claims to the contrary are highly inaccurate.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,404 Posts
It was my Jeep dealer and then the local radiator shop they finally contracted it out to that couldn't get it resealed. That was about 18 years ago, it sounds like they got it figured out finally. The radiator shop told me back then that not many radiator shops were having much luck getting the plastic tanks resealed.

·
Registered
27 Posts
All of this poor radiator quality talk is making me feel badly about my purchase this weekend. While replacing my torque converter, someone that was helping me lightly rested their arm against the upper radiator hose outlet and broke it off. Considering this was the original radiator from 2003 with 150k miles, I feel it was time to replace it anyway. I needed to get it put back together ASAP, and the local Autozone happened to have one in stock-so I went with that option. Overall quality seems to be decent, but then again only time will tell.

...finding some wood to knock on....

1 - 20 of 35 Posts