Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I have a 99 sport 5 speed. two weekends ago I went camping with the girlfriend and I noticed that the front was sagging quite a bit ( about 4.5 inches of clearance from the top of my tire to the bottom edge of flare (tires are 28 inches (225/70r15) ) on the drivers side and about 3.5-4 inches on the passenger side. I decided that its time for a suspension upgrade. I found a set of 32s mounted on 17in moabs for cheap so I might get those and just trim the flares to a flat fender style. now I do want to lift the actual jeep, but as a college student I don't want to shell out 500 bucks if I don't have to. I don't do HEAVY trails either, just mild to moderate so I don't need a long arm kit. I was doing some research and this is what ive come up with please bear with me as im pretty new to the whole lift system and mechanics (also I have a smittybilt src tube front bumper and will be installing an xrc8 winch so please keep that in mind)

Front:
JKU shocks as they are 3 inches longer than stock shocks
and new ZJ v8 coils (I can get them cheaper than normal due to my job)
and maybe an RC adjustable track bar if needed

TC:
1/2" drop kit

Rear:
the rear of my jeep is still okay but I should concider on lifting it about 2.25 to even the rake (any suggestions except for 2 inch pucs)
and RC adj track bar.

those this sound like a balanced lift? like does it make sense and will it work?

thanks if advance guys

·
Registered
89 Posts
Just curious, how much is that lift going to cost you. I just installed a 4.25" zone combo lift (3" suspension, 1.25 body lift, 1" motor mount lift) on my 98 and it works awesome. That cost me about $650. Don't need a tc drop, sye, or anything else. Running 33's and theres tons of room. It also came with sway bar disconnects, shocks, and springs. I also have a SRC tube bumper and a 9500 tiger shark mounted on the front. Very happy with the kit. Just a suggestion. Good luck!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
zj springs will run about 60 bucks (brand new)
rear and front JKU shocks will run about 70
(im thinking maybe I can move the springs from the front to the back and save some money)
adj trac bars will run 150 used
and tc drop if needed probably 15 bucks at most. now considering that adj tbs don't come with lift kit it should run me about 150, plus id be making my own quick discos at home or at work

·
Registered
89 Posts
Gotcha. Sounds like you have a plan. I cant' think of any other way of doing it any less expensive. The only advice I would have is to check your tc mount when you have the skid pulled off. Mine was separated and after I put my lift on, I had a clanking/ chatter coming out of first gear.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ouch, thanks man, will def check that when I get to the lift (right now bedlining it is top priority)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know I know. I shouldn't do, I hear some people saying its just bad news bears then some say it works just fine. if not I might just have to go with a 2.5 spring for the rear to try and accommodate for the added weight in the front (again, im very OCD when it comes to my cars and I like things being symmetrical) would that be okay in that case? and would the JK shocks fit just fine (they are 3 inches longer than stock tj shocks) with a 2.5 spring?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yeah moving the springs from the front to the back got me thinking too. They're different diameters if I'm remembering right.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
they are, i think they might be a bit wider? not 100% sure. again i have seen multiple people do it on this forum and if its safe and will yield a 2.5 inch lift HEY FREE LIFT! haha. but i also don't want the springs flying out when drying and especially not when i have people in the car

1 - 9 of 9 Posts