Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Looking at a 2004 Jeep Wrangler. $9,995. 137K miles. looks to be in very nice shape. Just very worried about year...13 years old...how do wranglers hold up? always wanted a Jeep and by chance drove by this last night and its def in my price range...any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
92 Posts
'04 was a pretty good year for TJs from what I gather. I have an '05 LJ and it certainly has given me it's share of problems but I think I can attribute that the the POs lack of maintenance. These TJs can easily go over the 200k mi mark with good maintenance so take it to a good mech and have him give it a good once over for peace of mind before you buy. Also remember, J.E.E.P. stands for Just Empty Every Pocket but you will learn to love it. People either love 'em or hate 'em but you already seem to be ready to dive into the kool aid so welcome to the family.

As an afterthought, if you plan to "modify" it with lift or tires or whatever, spend the money to do it right the first time or you will spend double that fixing problems down the road. JMO

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also remember, J.E.E.P. stands for Just Empty Every Pocket but you will learn to love it.

^^^ this is exactly what I'm worried about. got 2 kids cant be pouring $$ into a 2004 vehicle ya know...

·
Registered
92 Posts
If you keep it stock they are not any more expensive any than other vehicles on the street. It get's expensive when you start adding lifts, tires, gears, lockers, lights, etc. What makes it worth it is the "cool" factor of the Jeep. Not many vehicles out there allow you to go topless AND go offroad. I had a CJ7 in college and kept it pretty much stock through 2 kids in car seats but once I got established it was on. The sky was the limit and to this day I regret ever getting rid of it. Think of it this way, your kids may never mention the fun times riding in the station wagon, but they will always remember riding in the Jeep with the top down.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
man I hear you loud and clear. always wanted a jeep, drove past this one last night and it caught my eye. 04 beige with a hardtop. cant stress enough though I'm worried about the year...not so much extras and whatnot it will stay stock for the most part as there is a nice set of wheels on it already

·
Registered
92 Posts
Jump on the hard top. Those are nice to have. See if you can haggle the price down. What are the options on it? Automatic or Standard? 6cyl or 4? Package? Send pics if you can. There are lots of people on this site that can offer lots of advice and tell you what to look out for.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Does is have aftermarket parts on already? Make sure the frame and body are mostly rust free or it will be a never ending problem to deal with. If you live where the roads have salt and you decide to get the Jeep, make sure you use some kind of preventive. Pricing isn't bad but I would definitely talk the person down as much as I could. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Where are you located? Is it a Sport model? Check for rust? I paid just over $10k for my 2003, 4 years ago, with less miles than you. $9,995 sounds a bit high for an '04 with 137k miles on it, but could depend on location, trim package, add-ons (I don't see any listed).

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yeah that 4.0 is bulletproof. They quit using it when they brought out the JK line in 2007. Sub par Jeep in my opinion, but some people still love 'em. If it is still in stock condition then the PO probably didn't do much offroading. Look at the undercarriage for residual mud. If all clean and no rust you are probably in good shape. If there is mud in the engine compartment you may a tel tale sign it was buried at one point. Check the fluids, brakes, check engine light, etc. or like I said just take it to a cert. mech and have him check it out.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Mine was $6k

05 sport
44 rear
30 front
Auto 42RLE
RHD

221k when I bought it
225k now

Nothing major really.

Ball joints and steering linkage (have parts just not time yet)

Axle sway bar bushing and sway bar links

Next:
Control bars all around $200 stock TJ

It's not been bad and I beat my Jeep up with work and occasional play

Good luck and welcome! Jeep on brother!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
I just bought my 04 w 192,000 and own a 94 w 260,000
I've had the 94 as my dd for 10 happy years and now fully plan to get 10 plus years out of the 04.... will prolly keep the 94 as well.... prolly some new undented fenders, paint, and seats and be good for at least another 10 years..... maybe 20

·
Registered
45 Posts
Check the frame for rust, especially if you live in a state that uses road salt. Mine got pummeled after 15 years of use ... but I got a frame from out west and she's running again.

My 14 year old daughter wants my 17 year old Jeep when she drives ... she loves it and has great memories. Not sure how her younger sister feels about it ... but it'll be a problem. LOL.

Doc

1 - 13 of 13 Posts