Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i'm looking forward to joining these forums and learning alot from them once i get my hands on my jeep wrangler, but first off i need some help and some tips on helping me purchase it. Currently i'm looking at a 1990 YJ 2.5L 5speed manual black YJ with 118,000 miles. The body seems to be in great shape for an almost 20 year old car. only heavy rust exists on the doors which can be replaced. Original paint seems to be fine, i've checked the under carriage for heavy rust and there isnt any. Interior is mint. comes with new wide tires, hardtop and softop. Motor sounds great there is an oil leak by the valve cover gasket which does not seem to hard to replace. Guy is selling for the lowest price of 1800. i'm looking to jump on this but hoping i didnt miss anything too serious. Can others chime in and help me purchase my first wrangler. the problem with the valve cover gasket bothers me the most but from what i can tell the car stops up fine with no problems. Also is the price about right?

Thanks in advance.

here is a pic of the car i took with my phone. please copy and paste it into a new browser window.

http://web2.twitpic.com/img/17889391-2086f1a4eb6846fd1bc29dc432ebc8d2.4a611882-scaled.jpg

·
Registered
538 Posts
1800 is what i paid for mine and have had offers of near double to sell it. i say buy it if it runs and looks good. you can resell pretty easy if needed. And that one does look good. just double check frame and bellhousing for brake fluid leak from slave.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
frame looks clean. i'll double check the slave cylinder tommorrow when i took a closer look at the car. the clutch master cylinder looks a bit rusty from what i can tell

·
Registered
538 Posts
take it for a good test drive (since its at a trans shop) and ask if they will put on a lift after test drive so you can get a better look

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
Heck the wheels and tires are probably worth close to what they are asking...... I'd snap it up, but then, I'm nuts..... :D

·
Registered
51 Posts
FYI while you're looking.....I searched a lot on the web before I bought, but apparently didn't use the correct search terms to learn about the AX-5. I saw all kinds of info about the Peugot tranny, but not the AX-5.

The AX-5 tranny behind the 2.5s is weak.

I wanted 4.1 gears, so I bought a 4 cyl one. Like I said above. Out of all the info I found, I saw nothing about the light duty AX-5 tranny. I can shift mine with no grinding now, but that's cause I have a "feel" for it. The 2nd and 3rd gear synchros are worn out...and that makes shifting interesting. 5th gear is iffy, too.

I would definitely get another Wrangler, but I'd get a 6 cyl one to avoid the weak 4 cyl tranny.

·
Registered
253 Posts
buy buy buy...

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hardtop sells here for 700-800 bucks and the set of full doors are around 400 bucks, so go figure. Just buy it and you can sell if it is too much of a project. If you find another deal like this, please PM me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts