Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, new to the forums.

Quick back story. I bought a 1988 YJ in 2000 when I was 15 made some upgrades and drove it until I was 18. When I graduated HS I was shipped off to basic then overseas and thus the Jeep remained garaged at my parents house for the next 13 years. They are selling their home and have finally shipped the Jeep to me which is in need of some more upgrading.

The only functional upgrades I have made so far is rebuilding the 258 and adding multi-point fuel injection, installing a bolt-on 4" lift, and full exhaust. Everything else has been fairly cosmetic and accessories like bumpers winches, lights, seats, racks, etc.

So my question is what are some upgrades I should make or need to make to increase functionality. I have been wanting to replace the axles as I believe they are the stock Dana 30 and Dana 35 (not sure if to fully replace with Dana 44 or replace with different spline??), I would also like to change the gears to 4.56, as well as install lockers. I'm not sure about the suspension, I keep reading about coil overs and things like that but don't know enough about those.

All your thoughts are appreciated. If this is the wrong section please let me know.

-Joe

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well a lot of lookers, I'll reply. I'm new too but for function it all depends what you are going to be doing with it. Mall crawl or deep and dirty? How tall you want to be etc

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Well a lot of lookers, I'll reply. I'm new too but for function it all depends what you are going to be doing with it. Mall crawl or deep and dirty? How tall you want to be etc
X2

Wrangler forum has many many many useful members. . . . . Maybe you didn't ask the question right.

Yj has stored for 13 years needs to be functional as dd and weekend warrior.. i have 5k for budget and a week to get it done.

So for a newb. Please don't discriminate against the intellectual spiritual and vastly advanced here. Glad you got your answer's somewhere. We all just jeep . . . . .

·
Registered
32 Posts
I hope I wasn't out of line on this was I?

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
I hope I wasn't out of line on this was I?
I for one, Do Not think you where out of line, I think your correct, It all has to do, with what your going after, in your own Jeep. :beerme:

·
Registered
519 Posts
You left too many questions open. The only correct answer would have been "Do some research and decide what you want from your Jeep". It is such a personal preference, what works, or makes sense for me may not suit you at all. For an example: I have 31s on both my Jeeps because they are daily driven by inexperienced drivers and need the best road characteristics (while looking somewhat cool). If I was driving either of them, they would get an 8.8 swapped in the rear, chromoly axles in front,488 gears, metal cloak fenders all the way around and probably a stroker

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You left too many questions open. The only correct answer would have been "Do some research and decide what you want from your Jeep". It is such a personal preference, what works, or makes sense for me may not suit you at all. For an example: I have 31s on both my Jeeps because they are daily driven by inexperienced drivers and need the best road characteristics (while looking somewhat cool). If I was driving either of them, they would get an 8.8 swapped in the rear, chromoly axles in front,488 gears, metal cloak fenders all the way around and probably a stroker
Exactly what I was looking for. We all know it's personal preference but it's good to hear other peoples opinions and how they use their Jeeps. The easy copout is to say it all depends but really if you are new, sometimes you don't really know, and that is where I am at. Since it was stored for so long I'd like to start taking it out on some trails and slowly progress so things more difficult or demanding. Not sure what I am going to do with it. It's my fourth car so it's not a DD.

Suggestions I received from the other forum, included swapping the rear with an 8.8 like you suggested and rebuilding the D30 with chromoly axles, boomerang shackles, Slip Yoke eliminator and things like that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
X2

Wrangler forum has many many many useful members. . . . . Maybe you didn't ask the question right.

Yj has stored for 13 years needs to be functional as dd and weekend warrior.. i have 5k for budget and a week to get it done.

So for a newb. Please don't discriminate against the intellectual spiritual and vastly advanced here. Glad you got your answer's somewhere. We all just jeep . . . . .
That's odd, thought it was pretty straight forward.

Do I swap axles to Dana 44's or buy stronger axle shafts in a different spline? Opinions on coil overs, etc. General upgrades?

I'm asking for opinions regardless of what they are, if people say swap the D30 for a D60 and put a 14 bolt in the rear, that's fine. All comments were welcome.

·
Registered
889 Posts

Do I swap axles to Dana 44's or buy stronger axle shafts in a different spline? Opinions on coil overs, etc. General upgrades?

I'm asking for opinions regardless of what they are, if people say swap the D30 for a D60 and put a 14 bolt in the rear, that's fine. All comments were welcome.
Looks like you have the understanding then and should know what you need to know for your purposes. Safe to say this is a dead thread now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks like you have the understanding then and should know what you need to know for your purposes. Safe to say this is a dead thread now.
Indeed, died before it ever got going.

For what it's worth. These are the upgrades I decided on based on users suggestions, in the event anyone else is ever interested.

Swap out the D35 for 8.8
Rebuild the D30 with 30 spline Chromoly shafts.
Boomerang Shackles front and rear
Slip Yoke Eliminator Kit
On Board Air, York Compressor

After some research other upgrades include:
Swapping gears to 4.88
Tummy Tuck
1" Body Lift

·
Super Moderator
12,669 Posts
Joe, The one thing I consider most important is to sanatize what you already have. Make certain that all the wireing and fuel systems will not let you down while out on the road or trail. Clean everything to the best of your ability. Drive the Jeep for a while to be sure you are comfortable with its reliability. As you drive it you will get more ideas about which direction you want to head.

Search this forum for your state Jeepers and go on a couple runs with them. Jeepers are a great bunch of folks. You will get a lot of ideas and hints from other Jeepers.

Then I suggest you put together a "trail kit" consisting of some common hand tools, duct tape, tow strap, wire ties and whatever else seems to make sense. Put it all in a box so that when you head to the trails, all you have to do is drop it in the back.
I had a CJ with a tool box permanantly bolted to the floor behind the back seat. That worked great.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'd like to start by saying thanks for the time you put in for our country.
I would say replace the rear axle 8.8 is a good choice. Upgrade the front shafts on the 30. New gears, check out some ratio charts to see what's going to work out for your driving needs and tires. And if it's a 5 speed BA5-10 change it to a AX-15.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts

Personally f250 axles are the way to go. I'm waiting to kill oem axles. ....which im yet to do

·
Registered
312 Posts
First off, thank you for your service. What will be the primary use of your Jeep. You don't say where you are stationed, and I understand why you might not want to divulge such information. The only reason I ask is that you may be able to save some cash by having the work done in your present country.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
First off, thank you for your service. What will be the primary use of your Jeep. You don't say where you are stationed, and I understand why you might not want to divulge such information. The only reason I ask is that you may be able to save some cash by having the work done in your present country.
Thanks CMike, I'm no longer in the military. I live in Northern Virginia now. The Jeep is my 4th car so it's the last on the list as far as daily driving so it will be used exclusively for 4 wheeling and just driving for fun.

Joe, The one thing I consider most important is to sanatize what you already have. Make certain that all the wireing and fuel systems will not let you down while out on the road or trail. Clean everything to the best of your ability. Drive the Jeep for a while to be sure you are comfortable with its reliability. As you drive it you will get more ideas about which direction you want to head.

Search this forum for your state Jeepers and go on a couple runs with them. Jeepers are a great bunch of folks. You will get a lot of ideas and hints from other Jeepers.

Then I suggest you put together a "trail kit" consisting of some common hand tools, duct tape, tow strap, wire ties and whatever else seems to make sense. Put it all in a box so that when you head to the trails, all you have to do is drop it in the back.
I had a CJ with a tool box permanantly bolted to the floor behind the back seat. That worked great.

Good Luck, L.M.
This forum has been great, I've found a ton of great info so far especially on 8.8s. Good call on the trail kit, never even consider it really, always have a high-lift, axe, shovel and sockets but will def put together some more stuff.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Personally f250 axles are the way to go. I'm waiting to kill oem axles. ....which im yet to do
Funny enough I have a 97 F-250 with a Sterling 10.25 that I debating pulling and putting on the Jeep, one downfall was that it's a 7 lug and would want/need custom axle shafts that are 8 lug. I thought of pairing it with a Dana60. Everyone so far has pretty much said 8.8 should be good enough and for where I am it hopefully will be.

I think I should just buy another Jeep later and turn it into a 1-ton. :)

·
Super Moderator
12,669 Posts
I have a 2004 F-150 XLT with 7 lug wheels (called a 7700 series) (3/4 ton in a F-150 body) extra cab, long bed - gas engine.

It was some companies work truck before I got it. One of the first things I did was to go to Discount Tire and order 4 polished alloy, 7 lug custom wheels and larger tires.

It would be a whole lot less expensive to get custom 7 lug wheels, than to get new 8 lug axles and then 8 lug wheels. If you are going to part out the F-250, why not use the front axle also? Then you only need one spare tire. I haven't looked at my truck to see which side the front differential is on.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have a 2004 F-150 XLT with 7 lug wheels (called a 7700 series) (3/4 ton in a F-150 body) extra cab, long bed - gas engine.

It was some companies work truck before I got it. One of the first things I did was to go to Discount Tire and order 4 polished alloy, 7 lug custom wheels and larger tires.

It would be a whole lot less expensive to get custom 7 lug wheels, than to get new 8 lug axles and then 8 lug wheels. If you are going to part out the F-250, why not use the front axle also? Then you only need one spare tire. I haven't looked at my truck to see which side the front differential is on.

Good Luck, L.M.
I swapped the wheels as well since the original steel wheels were rusty, bought them from tire rack, I think they were Eagle Alloys. I would consider the front axle however the the truck uses a weird Dana 50 TTB/IFS which isn't a solid axle, it's basically 2 solid axle housings mounted like scissors. It may be simple enough but I'd rather not go down that rabbit hole with trying to fit it. So if I used the 7 lug pattern my front lugs will always be different which is one of the main reasons for converting.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts