Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hi all,

Long post.

I have a 1997 2.5L TJ automatic transmission.

The start of my fuel pump woes started when a mechanic removed my perfectly good OEM fuel pump that probably would have lasted me 300k miles. He replaced it with who knows what, and of course that part failed within about 10k miles.

All the OEM fuel pumps or the Bosch fuel pump assemblies are basically impossible to find now. So getting an OEM assembly fuel pump seems out of the picture...

I recently replaced that cheap fuel pump the mechanic put in with the Delphi fuel pump. From searching the forums people seemed to stand by Delphi's quality and say it's second best to OEM. Well... 6 months after putting in the new Delphi, and it's failed.

It seems the next best thing Is to use the Delphi assembly I currently have and try to replace just the pump itself with something like the Bosch 69316. I also saw Denso has a pump which is the 950-0199. Denso seems to have high regards I'm the world of Toyotas, just don't know that would translate with Jeeps. Either way I'm sure it beats Delphi or some other fuel pumps that claim to be OEM quality with a lifetime warranty, however you'll just get used to doing fuel pump replacements like an oil change.

If y'all were in my shoes what would you do? Sell the Jeep hehe (just kidding) ... Go with Bosch or Denso fuel pump unit without assembly?

Thanks all.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply! I honestly don't mind spending 200-300 for a fuel pump that I know will work. It beats saving money up front only to spend more in the long run. I'm checking with that site to see if they have it in stock.

I called the dealer as well. They don't have 15 gallon fuel pump assemblies (which mine takes), but they did have a 19 gallon (which is compatible just throws off the fuel gauge). Though they quoted around 600 for the part...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked that website and it appears the OEM fuel pump assembly is out of stock. I put in an order and it was immediately cancelled...

I also contacted Delphi and they said I could get a free replacement, which is what I'm going to do. Probably won't last long I'm sure but it seems I have very few options unless I want to deal out a tons of cash.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Where do you see that? I checked and couldn't find it.
My bad, I just noticed yours is a 97 I was looking at 2006 which is what I have. For what its worth I see they have Spectra and I used one of those and ran it for about six years, it was still working when I replaced it for a bosch but it was losing pressure when shut off, had to cycle the key a few times to get it to start but it then ran good. Good luck

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No problem. I'll keep that in mind though I'm hoping I get a little extra mileage out of the new Delphi.

Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts