Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 02 jeep Sahara and I want to put 35s on it with a 4 in lift, but when I read the details to the lift it says max tire size 33, so I did some research and there were people who we're running 35s on a 4in lift with a body lift ? Does the body lift really help... Some one please help !

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
It will help keep the tires from rubbing on various suspension parts when you turn or flex...you *do* know there is a LOT more to running 35's then just a lift and tires right? Sounds like you NEED to do a LOT more research before you pull the trigger on this....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It will help keep the tires from rubbing on various suspension parts when you turn or flex...you *do* know there is a LOT more to running 35's then just a lift and tires right? Sounds like you NEED to do a LOT more research before you pull the trigger on this....
well damn so what all will I need ? To even put 35s on

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
What will you be doing with this Jeep? What kind of wheeling? Or is it just for street? Just for S&G's, click the Search option up there and type in "35" tires TJ" and read some of the posts. What kind of rear do you have? D35? D44? May have to upgrade, depending...can get quite expensive to do it right bro...

·
Registered
400 Posts
There is doing it, and doing it right. Nothing is more miserable than driving a Jeep that does not ride well. By that I mean one that is underpowered (for the size tires), or bad geometry due to a lift done incorrectly (which can be dangerous), or many other things. A lot of things need to happen when you go 4" of lift. Unfortunately, it's not cheap.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,386 Posts
well damn so what all will I need ? To even put 35s on
You first need to figure out if your rear axle is the one that is up to that big of a tire. The standard Dana 35 that comes on TJs is the Dana 35 which is not strong enough. The optional extra-cost Dana 44 rear axle is definitely strong enough. Use the below photos to determine which rear axle you have, it's easy enough to tell by looking. Basically an easy way to tell is by looking at the lubricant fill plug on the differential cover. If it is a black plastic snap in plug, it's the weaker Dana 35... only good up to 33" tires if kept unlocked. If it has a threaded steel bolt in the lubricant fill hole, it's the stronger Dana 44.

If it's the worthy Dana 44, you'll still need to do a couple more things to successfully run 35's. You'll need to regear both of your axles to a lower ratio so your engine can develop enough power to turn them. If you have the 5-speed, you need to regear your axles to the 4.88 ratio. If you have an automatic, regear them to 4.56.

The last but still important thing you need to do is install a stronger tie rod and drag link. Especially your tie rod which is only a skinny hollow steel tube that 35's can easily bend. Currie's Currectlync heavy-duty steering kit would be a good bolt-on choice.

And to clear 35's, a 4" suspension lift and 1" or 1.25" body lift is ideal.

The first pic below is the unworthy-for-35's Dana 35, the second is the stronger Dana 44. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You first need to figure out if your rear axle is the one that is up to that big of a tire. The standard Dana 35 that comes on TJs is the Dana 35 which is not strong enough. The optional extra-cost Dana 44 rear axle is definitely strong enough. Use the below photos to determine which rear axle you have, it's easy enough to tell by looking. Basically an easy way to tell is by looking at the lubricant fill plug on the differential cover. If it is a black plastic snap in plug, it's the weaker Dana 35... only good up to 33" tires if kept unlocked. If it has a threaded steel bolt in the lubricant fill hole, it's the stronger Dana 44. If it's the worthy Dana 44, you'll still need to do a couple more things to successfully run 35's. You'll need to regear both of your axles to a lower ratio so your engine can develop enough power to turn them. If you have the 5-speed, you need to regear your axles to the 4.88 ratio. If you have an automatic, regear them to 4.56. The last but still important thing you need to do is install a stronger tie rod and drag link. Especially your tie rod which is only a skinny hollow steel tube that 35's can easily bend. Currie's Currectlync heavy-duty steering kit would be a good bolt-on choice. And to clear 35's, a 4" suspension lift and 1" or 1.25" body lift is ideal. The first pic below is the unworthy-for-35's Dana 35, the second is the stronger Dana 44. :)
I have the Dana 44

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What will you be doing with this Jeep? What kind of wheeling? Or is it just for street? Just for S&G's, click the Search option up there and type in "35" tires TJ" and read some of the posts. What kind of rear do you have? D35? D44? May have to upgrade, depending...can get quite expensive to do it right bro...
just muddin nothing extreme

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
so I'm gonna order the 4in lift soon aswell as the 35s what else will i need for my jeep so it won't mess or anything
1. Upgraded steering. I recommend Currie.
2. You need to regear. Gear ratio depends on your transmission.
3. Upgraded brakes.
4. 4" lift will require SYE and DC shaft. Do not forget the adjustable rear UCAs.

Honestly, a decent 4" kit will cost in excess of $2k. Expect to spend well over $5k for these upgrades before buying tires.

My rig is on 35s. This is the list of upgrades that I felt was necessary to make my TJ functional.

1. 4.88 gears
2. front and rear lockers
3. front and rear chromoly axle shafts
4. upgraded brakes
5. upgraded steering
6. super short SYE and DC shaft

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Have you been in the mud yet? Been in deep water? Do yourself a favor: treat the frame, inside and out, to prevent rust! Do it *now*!! Thank me *later*! Don't ask me how I know.....

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Blast the inside clean with a pressure washer and let it dry. Then there are a couple different things you can do: Eastwood's products are well thought of. They have an internal frame coating product that can do the job here:
Eastwood Internal Frame Coating

For the outside, wire wheel/brush any surface rust and choose a Rust Convertor product to coat it. POR-15 is a good one, but there are several. Then paint it a top coat of your choice/color. Our frames are particularly vulnerable, especially if you are gonna go *looking* for rust-inducing situations, like mud. Once the frame goes...your sunk. No pun intended...and it can happen very fast. I lost one of my favorite Jeeps because of it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts