Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TJ owner here. I need some help. My wife and I may be buying a JKU. All I know are TJ's, so I need some info.

Here's what I know:

I want a 3.6. And I have heard the 2012's had head problems. So I want a 2013+. It won't be brand new.
I can't afford a rubicon, so that leaves a sport or Sahara.
It needs to be auto.

Are there any other problems with the 2013-2015 years?
What gear ratio do I want to look for?

What do I need to do to run 33" tires?
What about 35's?

I appreciate all the help! I'm getting ready to go into uncharted territories now, and I'm getting excited :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
TJ owner here. I need some help. My wife and I may be buying a JKU. All I know are TJ's, so I need some info.

Here's what I know:

I want a 3.6. And I have heard the 2012's had head problems. So I want a 2013+. It won't be brand new.
It needs to be auto.

What about 35's?

I appreciate all the help! I'm getting ready to go into uncharted territories now, and I'm getting excited :)
33's can technically be run stock with flat fenders. I have a 2" lift and plan on running 33's.

Once you get up into 35's you'd want probably the 4.10 gearing from the rubicon or higher.

If you are getting the sport or sahara don't make the mistake I did and get the 3.21 gearing. You want the 3.73.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
There was a problem with the oil filter housing cracking up to something like 2014 or so. Don't remember the details but I'm sure a quick google search would reveal them.

The cylinder head issue on the 2012's resulted in Chrysler upping the warranty on that cylinder head to 150k miles.

I'd definitely look for the 3.73 axles (the lowest you can get with a sport or sahara).

·
Super Moderator
15,376 Posts

Here's what I know:

It needs to be auto.

What about 35's?

I've had a '13, '14 and '16.

• Manual trans issues; popped out of gear, noisy, hard shifts. Dealer said normal.
  • Rear main seal leak (repaired under warranty)
  • Sold at 14k for the 2014

• Radiator leak
  • Thermostat leak
  • Moisture in electrical connector shut the Jeep off.
  • At 60k miles now, no other issues

• Zero issues, at 24k miles
As far as gears IMO buy whatever Jeep you like best then gear for the tire size you want to run. If that's a 35" then I'd go 4.56. Will take about 2.5" lift OR flat fenders to run 35". If you lift make sure it includes caster correction so you'll still have a nice riding Jeep :thumb:

Good luck!!

·
Registered
240 Posts
I've had a '13, '14 and '16.

• Manual trans issues; popped out of gear, noisy, hard shifts. Dealer said normal.
  • Sold at 14k for the 2014

• Radiator leak
  • Thermostat leak
  • Moisture in electrical connector shut the Jeep off.
  • At 60k miles now, no other issues

• Zero issues, at 24k miles
As far as gears IMO buy whatever Jeep you like best then gear for the tire size you want to run. If that's a 35" then I'd go 4.56. Will take about 2.5" lift OR flat fenders to run 35". If you lift make sure it includes caster correction so you'll still have a nice riding Jeep :thumb:

Good luck!!
What they said ^

if you run 33 you shouldn't have to do any thing. My jk Willys came with 255-70/17 on the3m and that is 32.1 inch tall I find it had to believe a jk would need anything to run a 33 tire.

so far no problems with my 15 jk but then again I only have 5k miles on it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Check for radiator leaks. Best is to look at bottom corners for the pink crusty stuff. There are a few threads if you search to help identify what you should look for.

Check carpets for moisture. Hard tops may leak down the A-pillar into the floor board. Complaints have been noticed on both the driver and passenger side.

BTW, former 2000 TJ owner here. Love the JKU. Ideal for traveling with the family.

Best of luck with the transition.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Check for radiator leaks. Best is to look at bottom corners for the pink crusty stuff. There are a few threads if you search to help identify what you should look for.

Check carpets for moisture. Hard tops may leak down the A-pillar into the floor board. Complaints have been noticed on both the driver and passenger side.

BTW, former 2000 TJ owner here. Love the JKU. Ideal for traveling with the family.

Best of luck with the transition.
Huh. Had no idea the hardtops were leaking.

I have a 2005 TJ with a Currie suspension. May be selling it to fund a JKU...

·
Registered
215 Posts
Yes, quite a few threads about it. The other issue I have seen on the forums and I have experienced is the front windshield. Some were not installed well, so they whistle. Thankfully I have a great dealership from whom I bought my JKU, and they replaced the windshield and the radiator (leaked, I smelled coolant) for me under warranty. My Jeep had 40k+ when I bought it.

·
Registered
653 Posts
If you think you will go to 35s and want to regear to something lower 4.56 etc then get the 3.21 because they'll be cheaper and you're changing them anyway. You don't need to change them(I'm at 3.73 on small 35s and it's not a Huge deal with the auto)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts