Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought an '89 YJ. Bearing went in rear axel driver side and toasted the axle shaft in the process. It's a dana 35. Any info anyone has on finding a replacement shaft in British Columbia would be greatly appreciated. Any insight into the process of changing the shaft is appreciated as well.

I'm new to jeeps. Not much of a mechanic but I'm looking to learn and get my hands dirty. Hoping to do some upgrades in the future but for now just need to get these wheels on the road. Thank you.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had same thing happen to my Cherokee. Try junkyards. And take the axle shaft out and measure the length and count splines. Don't buy the wrong one twice like I did

·
Registered
473 Posts
look at cherokees also.. They had 35s and the same type.. just get the same side.. Did this MANY times..
Also can you post a pic of the damage? I had a couple cut grooves in the axle.
But I thought the 89 had a semi floating bearing design.. Where as there is no C clips..

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
look at cherokees also.. They had 35s and the same type.. just get the same side.. Did this MANY times..
Also can you post a pic of the damage? I had a couple cut grooves in the axle.
But I thought the 89 had a semi floating bearing design.. Where as there is no C clips..
I think you are right on this year mod., which means the OP would not have to remove the Dif. cover to change the axle, bearing, and seal, it should be able to done by just pulling that side down, after removing the breaks there are four nuts you can get to thru a hole in the axle flange. If it is not this type then the cover needs to come off and remove the spider gear shaft and gears, then push in on the axle and remove the C-clip inside the axle gear and then pull the axle out of the housing. Ether way it's not a big job! :beerdrinking:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts