Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay here's the deal, 95 yj, 4.0 5 speed, the other night I found myself in some water, it was just over the drivers side rear tire, got stuck and the thing ran the entire time while gettin pulled out, I noticed it starting to miss so I figured the distributor was getting wet, I get pulled out and it finally stalls, at first it would turn over but not fire, I let it sit now going on two days, I went to see if it'll start and it won't even turn over, I have power and the lights on the dash and headlights work, turn the key and nothin not even a click. Had my friend mess with the fuse box under the hood and it turned over for a little bit, now it's back to doing nothing, messing with the fuse box isn't even helping any more, the fuel pump runs when you cycle the key so that's alright. Any help on the turning over problem? And once I get it to turn over any idea on why it won't fire? Distributor cap is dry inside also. Thanks a lot!!!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Does it turn over like it should, normal speed and all? Also, I would suggest starting from the beginning, check your fluids to make sure you didn't get water in it, then turn your key to the on position, with the jeep in Nuetrel and the e-brake ok, and use a screwdriver to connect the contacts on the starter. see if it starts or is acting the way it is acting now, and work your way down, but I would start with testing the starter, since it could have gone bad... either way, worth a shot, and easy and free to check.

Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
By the way, I have power to the starter and power all the through the fuse box under the hood. Checked all the fuses and they all look decent. I don't know where to go from here, hopefully not to a shop to get it figured out !

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Sounds like a connection issue, you may even have a bad starter relay.

It doesnt take much for a cap to short out too, I would try wd-40 shot into the distributor just in case.

How about fuel? Tank full?

if you did get water into something it can take longer than just a couple days. If that is the problem, then you will either have to find it, or it may take a long while to dry out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah it's got a full tank of fuel. And I sprayed wd 40 in the cap. I haven't been able to get it to turn over long enough to see if it want to try and fire.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Take the starter off, clean the solenoid, remove it from the starter and take it apart probably has water and crap in it if it has enough muddy water in it that will keep the contacts from making contact and starter not turning over. You can take the starter apart also I'm sure it could use a good cleaning as well if it was under water.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That side wasn't under water.. But my front passenger side tire was throwing some serious water. I'll do that and see how my luck goes

1 - 9 of 9 Posts