Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1999 Wrangler sport I would like to re-paint the fender flares on. I was able to remove the front flares but, the rear flares I can't get the top 4 screws out. the fronts had some locking nuts but, the back you can't reach anywhere to hold them (if they are there). Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
62 Posts
You will need to take off the liners in the fenders. They are the snap in type, you can use a screwdriver or go to the auto parts store and get one of these. Worth their weight in gold.

image-1483242356.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Jason! I was hoping I didn't have to do that. but I see what your saying! I'll send pics after my repaint. Thanks for the tool pic.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Lowes has the nutplates for the fenders for a very good price, just take one of your old ones in with you to compare, it's just a slip-on. I don't remember how much exactly, but I think they were less than .50 cents each.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Actually you can reach them but it is not fun and you need a high tolerence for pain. I ran a flat blade screwdriver between the fender and the liner and stuk two fingers between the two(the painfull part) to hold onto the clips.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I had the same trouble with my 01 TJ and the flares. I ended up just taping around the fenders and just painting them still on the jeep. Worked great and saved a heck of a lot of time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts