Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All, I am new to this forum and need some advice on a 91 YJ I am thinking about buying. It has a spring over lift and 33"TSL Boggers. The motor is the 2.5 with a 5 speed and lockers. This would be more a toy than a daily driver but anything I should look out for on this jeep such as engine or tranny would be a great help. Thanks and I look forward to talking to Y'all in the future.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Well that certainly is an interesting look... How does it run? HAve you test driven it? I personally am not a big fan of 4 cyl engines with big tires, they don't get up to speed real snappy...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
theorrminator said:
Well that certainly is an interesting look... How does it run? HAve you test driven it? I personally am not a big fan of 4 cyl engines with big tires, they don't get up to speed real snappy...
I am going to drive it on Monday.That will determine if I will get it. I have heard pros and cons about the 2.5 but as long as it has decent power on the bottom end I am not to concerned with top end. I will probably never get it over 60mph anyway. Really I would just like it to play in the mud around here.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
yeah...i dont know about the 2.5 with 33" boggers...by the way...have you ever driven a vehicle or a jeep with boggers??? i've heard that boggers are pretty rough...you may want to check the tranny as the ax-5 is pretty weak

·
Registered
592 Posts
I would be interested in the gearing a 2.5 with 33's and stock gears will be very slow.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe the gears are 4.11's. I will see for sure tomorrow.It has posi-lock for the fourwheel drive . Anybody know anything on this?

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
I'd get a mechanic to check her out. It has the look of possibly been wheeled hard.

Also, if you buy it, get rid of that thing on the end of the hood. It takes away from the look. Other than that, it looks like a hardcore YJ.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
That looks like something you could have a lot of fun with. If it isn't geared low enough for your wheeling, you can always regear to something lower, like 4.56, or lower. As long as the engine is healthy, you can have a lot of fun with this Jeep. Just keep in mind the price of regearing, that should help with your negotiations. Nothing like a 4 banger, geared right, with flowmaster exhaust, and a I-6 throttle body spacer. They sound like pissed off bumble bees..........lol. For the weight, they can be awesome, if geared right. We have a guy in our club, with a strected wheel base, 44" tires, and runs a 4 cylinder. His gears are the lowest available, something like 6.13's.

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
Posi-lok cures the problem on the YJ's w/ vacuum disconnect on the axle. You shouldn't have any problems with the Posi.

As far as mud bogging with the 2.5 I would think you would want it geared lower to be able to generate the wheel spin you need to keep your momentum going. But that's always something you can take care fo later if everything else on the jeep is good.

·
Registered
119 Posts
1BLKJP said:
Posi-lok cures the problem on the YJ's w/ vacuum disconnect on the axle. You shouldn't have any problems with the Posi.

As far as mud bogging with the 2.5 I would think you would want it geared lower to be able to generate the wheel spin you need to keep your momentum going. But that's always something you can take care fo later if everything else on the jeep is good.
if you mean numericaly lower gears for more wheel spin than you are right but if you mean a lower gear ration like 4.56 or 4.88 versus 4.10 the 4.10's will spin the wheels faster just takes more power to turn the higher the number the lower the gearing so the dshaft in a 4.10 rig will spin 4.1 revs on the motor to one rev of the wheel where as the 4.88 will spin the dshaft more for one turn of the wheel

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the advise on the Camo Jeep, I had to pass on it but I got myself another project. It is an 87 Laredo 4.2 auto,a/c,cruise,the works. I plan to get her lifted and a set of rims and Swampers on it ASAP. I look forward to talking to y'all through the build.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
very nice...but it will definitely look better with the lift and swampers :D can't wait to see some more pics along the way...sounds like a good deal

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
nice looking choice, keep us posted with the "makeover"

1 - 14 of 14 Posts