Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I need some help for a long awaited project to upgrade my stock stereo (no stereo upgrades from the factory)

Mechanically I can turn a wrench with no problem but when it comes to wiring and getting the right parts to plug up and play im well slow... :rip:

I've read through a lot of threads but cant seem to find that true unplug my speakers and head unit and plug the new stuff in. Now obviously with no amp and sub woofer in my current jeep this is and issue. How do i get an amp and sub woofer to plug and play?

I guess im just looking for someone who was in the same position as me-completely electrically illiterate. Or the exact opposite, someone who can tell me exactly what i need to order to have everything fit like a puzzle.

I can do everything myself like laying wire and blah blah blah. But I get a little lost with splicing what pieces to what pieces.

If anyone can link a good plug and play thread without the factory stereo upgrades please do, but I couldn't get ahold of a good one that i could understand.

Im looking for a touch screen headunit with or without nav depending on price. I dont really care for it either way.

Shoot some ideas out please id love to see what you guys did and suggest.

Thanks - Jack

·
Registered
285 Posts
I am in the same boat but have the nav system I am yanking out. I am putting in my old amps and speakers from my tj so here it is in a nutshell

Get a new head unit. Buy from crutch field and it will come with everything you need in terms of harness to get power, antenna etc

You will take RCA cables from the back of that into your amps. If you have front rear and subs you need 3 sets of cables and a 6 channel head unit (most are). You then wire your speakers to the output of the amp. That's basically it. For the amp you could do a 5 or 6 channel using 5 or 5-6 for subs and 1-4 for other speakers...or you could do a 4 channel for speakers and a separate sub amp.

Lastly...get an amp wiring kit that is 4 gauge and you will have all you need to power the amps and be good to go

That's the basics...not hard, just don't get in a hurry and thin it is a 2 hour Sunday afternoon project.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am in the same boat but have the nav system I am yanking out. I am putting in my old amps and speakers from my tj so here it is in a nutshell

Get a new head unit. Buy from crutch field and it will come with everything you need in terms of harness to get power, antenna etc

You will take RCA cables from the back of that into your amps. If you have front rear and subs you need 3 sets of cables and a 6 channel head unit (most are). You then wire your speakers to the output of the amp. That's basically it. For the amp you could do a 5 or 6 channel using 5 or 5-6 for subs and 1-4 for other speakers...or you could do a 4 channel for speakers and a separate sub amp.

Lastly...get an amp wiring kit that is 4 gauge and you will have all you need to power the amps and be good to go

That's the basics...not hard, just don't get in a hurry and thin it is a 2 hour Sunday afternoon project.
Interesting ill look into crutch field. I heard about them before. Ill take a look and update as i go. I just want the best bang for the buck like everyone else. Looking for suggestions on head units, speakers, amps etc. Also want to maintain factory steering wheel controls.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I am installing the I datalink maestro to retain wheel controls...but it only works with better head units. Crutch field can help w that too. I like Polk speakers, jl audio subs and jl audio amps but that's just me. Practically any aftermarket system will beat factory.....you could get away with a lesser head unit but I would not skimp on amp ( for example that $99 gazillion watt whatever won't be nearly as good as that $300 500 watt name brand whatever)

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am installing the I datalink maestro to retain wheel controls...but it only works with better head units. Crutch field can help w that too. I like Polk speakers, jl audio subs and jl audio amps but that's just me. Practically any aftermarket system will beat factory.....you could get away with a lesser head unit but I would not skimp on amp ( for example that $99 gazillion watt whatever won't be nearly as good as that $300 500 watt name brand whatever)
What setup do you plan on using? mind typing out all the parts? Id like to look it all over and see what i can personalize and so on.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have jl audio Xd 400 and Xd 600 amps. The 600 powers 2 ten inch subs which are currently Polk audio mobile monitor series but usually are jl audio. Rest of speakers are 6.5 inch Polk audio mobile monitor (in bar) and just ordered Polk audio dxi 6.5 inch components but not 100% sure tweeters will fit in upper dash...hope to know by end of week.

Head unit will be a kenwood likely with no nav (kenwood has most models that work with I datalink maestro unit to retain factory wheel controls factory Sirius and factory Bluetooth and other voice commands)

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bump for fresh blood

·
Registered
79 Posts
Aoca,

Let me know how the Polk tweeters go. I am thinking of the same speakers to upgrade my Infinity system.

·
Registered
158 Posts
if you plug the RCA cables into the amp for the front and soundbar speakers, does it "override" the speaker wires that plug into the back of the head unit with the adapter harness or do you need to cut those speaker wires?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Installed the whole system just like you describe. Bought factory (used) sub enclosure on eBay. Picked up a small and cheap 200watt mono amp (with dual output to match factory woofer dual input). Went to Crutchfield for Kenwood DNX890, install adapter unit (PAC brand), and back up camera.

Took an entire Saturday for me to knock out the project. I'm pretty skilled with wiring but I am not a professional by any stretch. The hardest part (for me) was removing all the factory stuff the first time. Highly recommend searching YouTube for install videos for the various Jeep panels, dash, etc. This made it all very easy. Matching up all of the wires for the PAC adapter was very tedious but the steering wheel controls work great. Stereo and camera work excellent.

·
Registered
285 Posts
if you plug the RCA cables into the amp for the front and soundbar speakers, does it "override" the speaker wires that plug into the back of the head unit with the adapter harness or do you need to cut those speaker wires?
Hopefully I can answer clearly. The factory head unit goes to a factory amp somewhere which feeds the factory speakers. If you put in new speakers which you wire to your amp...the head unit and factory amp basically feed speaker wires that don't hook to anything. I would leave those wires in place so of you have to put original equip back in it is just plug and play.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Installed the whole system just like you describe. Bought factory (used) sub enclosure on eBay. Picked up a small and cheap 200watt mono amp (with dual output to match factory woofer dual input). Went to Crutchfield for Kenwood DNX890, install adapter unit (PAC brand), and back up camera.

Took an entire Saturday for me to knock out the project. I'm pretty skilled with wiring but I am not a professional by any stretch. The hardest part (for me) was removing all the factory stuff the first time. Highly recommend searching YouTube for install videos for the various Jeep panels, dash, etc. This made it all very easy. Matching up all of the wires for the PAC adapter was very tedious but the steering wheel controls work great. Stereo and camera work excellent.
By PAC you must have been using a line output converter. If so, where on the jeep did you tap into to wire it in?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts