Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I am swapping my 16" wheels for 17" wheels. At this point liking the Method Racing MR 313--this is a new flow formed wheel (stronger, lighter) available in either a +25 or 0 offset. Is 0 the better choice?

Then I want to go with something close to a 35" tire, and because of my state's laws I want a winter severe service rated tire (mountain and snowflake symbol) and I wasn't thrilled with the life I got our of Wrangler Duratracs, so thinking about going with BF Goodrich T/A KO2's.

On a quick search of specs, I could do a LT 315/70R17 (measures 34.4" diameter) or a 35x12.5R17LT (measures 34.5"). Once concern I have is that the "measured rim width" of those two tires is 9.5" and 10", but the Method wheel is a 17x8.5". Does that mean that this rim is too narrow for the tires that I am considering?

Currently have a Teraflex leveling lift and 33's and trying to decide between either a 2.5" or 3.5" lift--I still have stock fenders and I am not anxious to go flat, but I think I know that I can adjust bump stops to prevent fender rub as needed.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
379 Posts
1. 0 offset is better that +25 in my opinion.. The higher the offset the closer in the wheel will be, and the lower the offset the further the wheel sticks out. I have a -18mm offset and my wheels stick out a decent bit.

This image may help explain it better

2. I can't make any tire recommendations because I don't know much about tires yet.

3. The rim is not too narrow. Its common to have wheels that are more narrow than the tire width. I run 35's with a 12.5" width on wheels that are 10" wide.

A website I found says that on 8.5" wheels the max tire width you could use is 10", so both tires should be fine.

4. 2.5" could clear 35s and so could a 3.5". If you do heavy offroading I'd say go with 3.5" so you could get more flexibility, however if you mainly do trails or on road driving then 2.5" is good. I do only street driving and occasionaly some trails and I went with 3.5" just because I'm tall and prefer the height and how it looks too

I am a beginner though so don't take my words and run with it. Listen to what others have to say too

·
Registered
688 Posts
Everyone has their own opinions on tires. I have never used the BFGoodrich tires, so I will leave those with experience to provide guidance there.

As far as the wheels, you do not want a +25mm offset for an 8.5” wide wheel. It is easier to talk backspace as it is not wheel width dependent like offset is. Offset measures the distance from the wheel mounting face to the centerline of the wheel where backspace measures the wheel mounting face to the inside lip of the wheel. I can’t tell you what the minimum backspace is to run the size tires you’re looking at, but I think 4.25” (that’s 0 offset for an 8.5” wide wheel) is pushing it. My wheels are either 4.50 or 4.63” backspace and my 35’s rubbed the front air dam at full steering lock. The plastic air dam was easily trimmed to remove the rub, but I’m not sure what the next closest interference would be.

The measured wheel width indicates what size wheels were used when they measured the listed tire size specs (tread width, section width, etc). The rim width range for the tires you indicated are 8-11” and 8.5-11”, so you would be okay with that wheel and either tire size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
959 Posts
Look up tires spec and suggested rim width. You will find those two sizes will fit on 8.5" wide rim
Whoops. As was already mentioned just above. Carry on...

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

·
Bella's Jeeper
1,232 Posts
3.5 AEV Dualsport with Quadratec Hard Rock wheels and 285/75R17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W.

I actually got 4.5 out of the lift as my Jeep is a lightweight (4500lbs).

The lift has better road manners than stock with just a little more body roll IMHO. It is great on the trail and in moderate rocks. I have only managed to flex it out on an RTI ramp.

The tires have the mountain snowflake and are every bit as good as Duratracs in the winter. They are better in the mud (although not as good as MTs) and excellent everywhere else, including the sharp rocky trails we have here.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
I can highly recommend the K02's. I have them on both of my Jeeps ('17 JK and an '04 TJ). I also have them on my daughter's full size RAM 1500 pickup. My daughter has over 42,000 miles on her K02's and I am looking to have her run them another 10k+ until spring. They still have enough tread to make it through the Pennzylvania/Ohio winter.

Amazing mileage for a truck. I hope to get the same life on the Jeeps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts