Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking for months now and found 2 wranglers im thinking of buying. I will be using as a DD and maybe minor offroad. both from a dealer. both soft top jeep 1 has half doors jeep 2 full glass windows have to young kids ill need to get in back seat no mods on either jeep

jeep 1 2007 wrangler x 6cyl manual 65,600 miles $15,700 2 owners 1 minor accident reported minor to no damage from carfax.
Alloy Wheels
4-Wheel Disc Brakes
4.10 Axle Ratio
6 Speakers
ABS brakes
AM/FM CD/MP3 Radio
AM/FM radio
Air Conditioning
Brake assist
CD player
Class II Receiver Hitch
Driver door bin
Dual front impact airbags
Electronic Stability Control
Fog Lamps
Front Bucket Seats
Front anti-roll bar
Integrated roll-over protection
MP3 decoder
Normal Duty Suspension
Occupant sensing airbag
Passenger door bin
Power steering
Radio data system
Rear anti-roll bar
Sunrider Soft Top
Tachometer
Tilt steering wheel
Traction control
Trailer Tow Group
Trailer Tow w/4-Pin Connector Wiring
Trip computer
Tubular Side Steps
Variably intermittent wipers
Vinyl Low-Back Bucket Seats

jeep 2 2005 wrangler sport 38,400 miles $17900 1 owner clean carfax Engine Description: 4.0L I6 12V MPFI OHV, Fuel Type: Gas, Cam Type: Overhead Valve, Fuel Induction: Sequential MPI, Valves Per Cylinder: 2, Aspiration: Normal, MPG Manual City: 15, MPG Manual Highway: 19, Transmission: Manual, Drive Train Type: 4WD, 4WD Type : Part-Time, Driven Wheels: Four-Wheel, Locking Hubs: Auto, Transfer Case: Manual, Wheels Rims: Styled Steel, Wheels Spare Rim Type: Steel, Stabilizer Bar: Front And Rear, Clock, Low Fuel Level, Tachometer, Convertible Roof: Manual, Front Wipers: Variable Intermittent, Rear Qtr Windows: Removeable, Privacy Glass: Deep, Audio System: AM/FM Stereo, Speakers: 7, Multimedia CD Location: Single In-Dash Mounted, Antenna Type: Fixed, Seating Capacity: 4, Front Seat Type: Bucket, Upholstery: Cloth, Folding: Full, Steering Power: Hydraulic Power-Assist, Steering Adjustment: Manual Tilting, Easy Entry: Manual, Cupholders, Door Pockets, Power Outlets: 2, Air Conditioning: Manual, Rearview Mirror: Day-Night, Shift Knob: Plastic/Rubber, Steering Wheel Trim: Plastic/Vinyl, Vinyl Floor Covering: Carpet, Bumpers: Black, Driver and Passenger Airbag, Brakes: Front Disc/Rear Drum, Headlights: Halogen, Fog Lights: Front, Front Headrests: Fixed, Turning Circle: 33.50, Seatbelt: Front Height Adjustable, NHTSA Passenger Grade: Good, NHTSA Driver Grade: Good, IINS Crash Offset: Average, Tie Downs, Rear Door Type: Conventional

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
Tough choice; I don't think you could wrong with either.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know but that is just that base stock no a/c for 22000 also that's not including tax title plates now ur probally looking around 26000 and that is not my budget. Any opinions on what I asked about the 2 Jeeps. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
If it were me with those choices, I'd be more drawn to the lower miles with the full doors, with the idea the kids would be 'perhaps' somewhat better served....but argument could be made for either.

They are of course different series with attendant features and virtues.

Hands on/inspect/drive would have to make the choice IMO.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Well I would decide if you want a JK or TJ. I would lean towards 1 myself. If it has been in an accident I would have it inspected first though.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I would test drive them both, with the kids. Then see which one is easier for you to live with. The JK and the TJ are very different in a lot of little ways. That said, they are both good vehicles.

I noticed that they are both 2 doors. There is a reason that the 4 door JKU has become so popular. They are much easier to live with if you have a family to haul around.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
No way would I pay $18k for a 2005. That's just dumb. Save and get a '12. Or at least a JK for that money.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
You have kids, keep looking for a 4dr. They're out there. I had an 06 TJ and now a 10 JK. I would choose the JK given a choice but not the JK you listed. I would keep looking.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Random thoughts \ suggestions:

1. Don't rush this purchase. You seem in a hurry and this is not the time to be.

2. Off the bat, you can get a 2011 with 12,151 miles for $19,977 while you're looking at a 2005 for $17,000. That 2011 without even talking to them.

Cars for Sale: 2011 Jeep Wrangler Sport in North Canton, OH 44720: Sport Utility Details - 322968081 - AutoTrader.com

3. Do a lot more research before pulling the trigger using all available tools including the above auto site and many like it.

4. Definitely take a test drive between a 2011 and 2012. If it were me, I would do everything possible to get into a 2012 and nothing older. Even used. That 22,000 is the asking price for new. You've already crept up from your 15,000 cash to 17,000. It's coming close the end of the year, perfect timing to score a deal to clear any dealer's lot, new or used. Wait till the last day of October and go shopping armed with as much knowledge and info you can retain. With some skill \ luck you can walk out the door with 20,000 -22,000 with new or demo imo.

5. Even on this forum there's finance offers of Auto loans at 1.49% through :

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/auto-loans-at-1-49-through-penfed-191545.html

Hefty downpayment with your cash balance on this or other, like 70 dollars month for a brand new one etc.

6. Take you time, do more research and weight everything before pulling the trigger. There are tons of options out there and as much as jeep dealers pretend to be able to sell at asking price, the salesmen are hungrier than ever to close deals. Wait till the end of the month and go in to some dealers at the end of the day. They'll practically give you one on the lot. Just make sure you know what you want and stick to it or close to it.

Research research research and knowledge. :thumb:

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
There's no way I would pay $18k for an 05 and the 07 at $15k isn't that much better. If those were the only two Jeeps in the world for sale I would get the 07. It even has 4.10 gears so it has a reasonable chance of not being a complete gutless turd if you put some slightly larger tires on it.

A little over a year ago I was in the same boat you are. I looked at countless used Jeeps for my wife and for the prices people expect you should just buy new and move on even if it means you don't get every option you want due to cost. At this point in the year you should be able to find a new 2012 on a lot with basic options for under $20k if you use Affiliate Rewards and Jeep has 0% financing for them right now. You also don't have to worry about fixing it if it breaks for 3 years. This is one case that new is probably cheaper than used over the long term.

·
Registered
536 Posts
1) dont buy used from dealer, you will always pay more than through a private sale

2) it is more expensive to finance a used car than a new one. Also, financing through the dealer gets you lower rates than theough the bank... The difference is big enough to usually cover the sales tax.

3) 2 door jk will likely not work with 2 kids, as it has almost no "trunk space" so trips will be crammed

4) i would get a jk over a tj every time

5) the 3.6L engine will save you money with each and every gas tank. Even $10-$15 savings per month, will likely equal the difference in your monthly payments between getting used and buy new

6) i would do everythink i could to get a bone stock no options 2012 sport jku. I would even be honest with the kids and tell them that they have the chance to drive around in a really cool car that's BRAND NEW, but in order to be able to afford it they have to cut down a little too on their candy money allowance or video game money or whatever :p

·
Registered
771 Posts
jabba_96 I see you're in Pennsylvania, what's that like 10 hour + drive from Chicago?

Your answer lies right here:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/rock-lobster-question-191986.html#post2870527

Resident expert and trusted dealer. No messing around, rock bottom prices from the get go, 2% below invoice brand new, for forum members. massive inventory new and used last I looked at their site etc. etc.

Contact him and see if you can work something out.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
guys thank you so much for all the info im new to this forum and its sure nice to see people on here willing to help other people out i have decided to wait and look around for a new 12 or 13. ill keep you guys posted and will probably have 50,000 more questions before i buy :confused: we do have a new kia sorento(wifes) so if we took long trips that would be the vacation mobile but i would rather look for new w/ warranty i thought 18,000 for an 05 was way to much. Once again thank you :thumb:

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
I'd never pay 18 for a tj given that the youngest one is now 7 years old.

Double check the 4.10 gear ratio. It is very possible cuz in 2007(and only 2007) you could get 4.10's in an x. It was rare tho. I would get some info on the accident and I'd probably buy the jk. You could also find another jk soon that has full doors if you want those

1 - 16 of 16 Posts