Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I take my dog everywhere with me and she really likes the back seat more then sitting in the front which is fine with me, my problem is storage. I don't like sandwiching my guns between the seats when we are going shooting so I was thinking about making a platform or a box to go between or over the wheel wells. If I remove the rear seat and bring a buddy then my dog would be walking all over my guns/stuff which is a big problem for me. If I make something then she'd have a place to ride and I'd have a place for storage. I just wanted to get some ideas about options to fab up but haven't found anything in my searches, maybe I'm searching for the wrong things. I keep my hardtop on for quite a bit of the year (I live in B.C. so winter + rain lots of the year) so I was thinking maybe something made out of MDF and covered in carpet. Show me what you have! :punk:

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
how about removing the back seat all together and building a plywood trunk? the dog could sit on top of the box and you'd have your storage.

·
Registered
242 Posts
how about removing the back seat all together and building a plywood trunk? the dog could sit on top of the box and you'd have your storage.
This is what I have done in my 99 TJ, but I have built it from checker-plate aluminium. I use it to keep my recovery strops, tools, Hi-Lift kit etc in.
I will take some pictures in the morning (it's dark here now) and post them up.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is what I have done in my 99 TJ, but I have built it from checker-plate aluminium. I use it to keep my recovery strops, tools, Hi-Lift kit etc in.
I will take some pictures in the morning (it's dark here now) and post them up.
that would be greatly appreciated! :thumb:

·
Registered
242 Posts
Here you go.

The two wing-nuts on the top are where my hi-lift jack sits.
The green box is my medical kit.

Release the four bottle screws (two front and two rear) and the whole thing just slides out and I can put the seat back in.

Secure when the soft top is on, but when I'm off-road, I just use the rubber hooks for quick access.

Automotive exterior Trunk Vehicle Car Bumper

Automotive exterior Window Glass Automotive tire Auto part

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Transport

Car Vehicle Car seat Minivan Car seat cover

Trunk Games

Trunk Vehicle Auto part Car Automotive exterior

Automotive exterior Bumper Trunk Flame Heat

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Just one suggestion...If you do decide to build with wood, don't use MDF...too heavy. Use plywood...lighter plus it will hold up better.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Just one suggestion...If you do decide to build with wood, don't use MDF...too heavy. Use plywood...lighter plus it will hold up better.
+1 MDF is nice and straight but once water hits it (and you know it will) it is toast. And boy is that crap heavy!

I bought a tuffy security console from a YJ user and it fits great. I got it off of craigslist for $200. You'd be amazed how much you will actually spend for plywood/diamond plate/hardware to build your own. Not saying you can't do it for cheap, but when compared to a commercial box I think you are better off spending a few more bucks.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hosejockey61 said:
+1 MDF is nice and straight but once water hits it (and you know it will) it is toast. And boy is that crap heavy!

I bought a tuffy security console from a YJ user and it fits great. I got it off of craigslist for $200. You'd be amazed how much you will actually spend for plywood/diamond plate/hardware to build your own. Not saying you can't do it for cheap, but when compared to a commercial box I think you are better off spending a few more bucks.
My dad and I have a custom kitchen cabinet shop we run together so a couple hinges and some drawer runners aren't a big deal for me to acquire, if I'm patient enough I might even be able to get the plywood from scraps.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Those big boxes would be a problem for many dogs.

A slightly different solution would be to make a 1/2" plywood platform, cut to match the contours of the vehicle sides, covered in black automotive carpet, and bolted to 2x4 or 2x6 legs underneath. This platform becomes the new "floor", with concealed storage underneath.

Plenty of room underneath the platform for guns, straps, tools, etc, yet still flat and low on top for the dog, and virtually undetectable from outside until the tailgate is opened.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just made a shelf out of 1/2" particle board and covered it with indoor/outdoor carpet. I made it out of 2 pieces to make it easier to get in and out of the back with the hardtop on. I was able to store guns and other hunting stuff under the shelf and they are not visible when it is locked up. I will try to get up a couple pictures.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
MNJeep05 said:
I just made a shelf out of 1/2" particle board and covered it with indoor/outdoor carpet. I made it out of 2 pieces to make it easier to get in and out of the back with the hardtop on. I was able to store guns and other hunting stuff under the shelf and they are not visible when it is locked up. I will try to get up a couple pictures.
Please do!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Those big boxes would be a problem for many dogs.

A slightly different solution would be to make a 1/2" plywood platform, cut to match the contours of the vehicle sides, covered in black automotive carpet, and bolted to 2x4 or 2x6 legs underneath. This platform becomes the new "floor", with concealed storage underneath.

Plenty of room underneath the platform for guns, straps, tools, etc, yet still flat and low on top for the dog, and virtually undetectable from outside until the tailgate is opened.
I bet the dog would like this idea best

·
Registered
33 Posts
It is just a flat piece of particle board in two pieces. The front one goes from the back of the seats to about where the rollbar contacts the tub in the back. The second piece is cut to fit around the rollbar.

I did not secure it down in any way. Once you put the indoor/outdoor carpet on it there is enough weight to keep it from bouncing around. If you wanted to put larger objects on the top of it I would suggest adding a support of some kind down the middle, front to back, because the particle board will flex some.

This shelf is only used when the hardtop is on so I do not have to worry about the wind catching it. I can also see the need to secure it down if you were to go topless.

Hope that all makes sense.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts