Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had an order in for a few sets of lights for going on 4 months now and am ready to cancel and start over. Looking for some recommendations for other brands or vendors for lights that are good but not too pricey (but not bottom barrel Amazon cheapies either). What I need are:

Front bumper lights, probably 4" rounds
Rear bumper 3" cubes
A pillar 3" cubes and mounts

Any input is appreciated.

Bonus question: MCE fenders were on this order as well but probably also in a shipping container offshore, any suggestions on suitable stand-ins?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I personally don’t believe in hotrod lights for anything other than headlights. All my auxiliary lights are cheeseball amazon specials that are used less than 5% of the time and only when I’m very remote and/or coming off the trail. I did decent rock lights, but otherwise I focused on getting rid of the useless candles in the grill so I could actually see where I’m going when there are other cars around (Truck lites- love them and they are DOT). When I have the rack on, I have a light bar on there that is probably no name that was free from another vehicle. My reverse lights are cubes that I don’t think I paid more than $10 for the pair.

My point is, if you don’t have good headlights, I’d focus on those and I bet any of the typical suppliers would have something, Truck lites, JW Speaker, or even the Quadratech Truck lite knock offs. Then for auxiliary lighting I’d use peruse Amazon and find something in stock and go from there. I guess that’s the only advise I have.

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
I agree with Longtallsally - headlights first and don't bother going halfway with bulbs in the e-code housings (Hella, Cibie, etc.). I went that route and while they were better than the factory, they couldn't hold a candle to the LEDs (pun intented). I put the Hellas in both my '15 Sahara and '03 Rubicon. Then I traded the '15 in on my '17 which came from the factory with standard LED headlights and fogs. WOW was my reaction the dark night in my '17 with the new headlights.

A year later when Quadratec had their Gen II headlights on sale, I bought a pair and installed them in my TJ. Haven't regretted it yet. On low beams, it's a push between the factory Mopars and the Gen II lights, but on high beam, the Gen IIs are better.

I doubt there are any WS pillar lights that can outshine the Gen II lights on high beam. My factory TJ fogs lights are not working right now because of an issue with the multi-function lever, I just need to get around to replacing it (I have the part). One reason I have pushed to get it done, is I'm not sure they will put any more light on the road then the LEDs. So no need for front bumper lights except as decoration.

Why would you put cubes on the rear bumper? If you want better backup lights, Go with the lower profile LEDs, or do what I did and put an LED bulb in the tail light housing where the backup light is. They work great.

No resistor needed when used in the back up light section.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I personally don’t believe in hotrod lights for anything other than headlights. All my auxiliary lights are cheeseball amazon specials that are used less than 5% of the time and only when I’m very remote and/or coming off the trail. I did decent rock lights, but otherwise I focused on getting rid of the useless candles in the grill so I could actually see where I’m going when there are other cars around (Truck lites- love them and they are DOT). When I have the rack on, I have a light bar on there that is probably no name that was free from another vehicle. My reverse lights are cubes that I don’t think I paid more than $10 for the pair.

My point is, if you don’t have good headlights, I’d focus on those and I bet any of the typical suppliers would have something, Truck lites, JW Speaker, or even the Quadratech Truck lite knock offs. Then for auxiliary lighting I’d use peruse Amazon and find something in stock and go from there. I guess that’s the only advise I have.
Hmm, I can look at headlights but so far the factory seem OK for on road, side light for switchbacks is lacking bad and good backups would be nice. Don't need to spend a ton and you have a good point on amount of use.... Won't be ordering from Quadratech again until they get it together unfortunately.

Reactions: USStrongman

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree with Longtallsally - headlights first and don't bother going halfway with bulbs in the e-code housings (Hella, Cibie, etc.). I went that route and while they were better than the factory, they couldn't hold a candle to the LEDs (pun intented). I put the Hellas in both my '15 Sahara and '03 Rubicon. Then I traded the '15 in on my '17 which came from the factory with standard LED headlights and fogs. WOW was my reaction the dark night in my '17 with the new headlights.

A year later when Quadratec had their Gen II headlights on sale, I bought a pair and installed them in my TJ. Haven't regretted it yet. On low beams, it's a push between the factory Mopars and the Gen II lights, but on high beam, the Gen IIs are better.

I doubt there are any WS pillar lights that can outshine the Gen II lights on high beam. My factory TJ fogs lights are not working right now because of an issue with the multi-function lever, I just need to get around to replacing it (I have the part). One reason I have pushed to get it done, is I'm not sure they will put any more light on the road then the LEDs. So no need for front bumper lights except as decoration.

Why would you put cubes on the rear bumper? If you want better backup lights, Go with the lower profile LEDs, or do what I did and put an LED bulb in the tail light housing where the backup light is. They work great.

No resistor needed when used in the back up light section.

Yeah, LED headlights is probably a good idea. I will look into that for sure. Unfortunately as much as I'd like to I won't be using Q-tec again until they appear to have gotten it together, they have been very good on communication after the sale but still waiting on products I thought long and hard about before ordering.

Cubes on the rear bumper because it has cutouts for them to be mounted flush. I did put LED in reverse lights and plate light, would like more and to have them on a switch so that they are not limited to reverse only.

Hmm, those Amazon bulbs do seem brighter than what I put it though....

·
Registered
2017 Rhino JKU
124 Posts
I just added some Diode Dynamics SS3 pros in the Amber spot configuration. Big fan of their lighting I’ve had the fogs for awhile now. Great quality and customer service with amazing light output.
Car Vehicle Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Hood

Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Automotive parking light Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

Vehicle Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Automotive lighting Road surface Asphalt Car Mode of transport

Tire Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Atmosphere Cloud Automotive lighting Sky Road surface

Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive parking light Hood

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Hmm, I can look at headlights but so far the factory seem OK for on road, side light for switchbacks is lacking bad and good backups would be nice. Don't need to spend a ton and you have a good point on amount of use.... Won't be ordering from Quadratech again until they get it together unfortunately.
Once you put in actual headlights, you will quickly see (see what I did there? :) ) what you weren’t seeing. The OEM headlights, much like the OEM brakes, are borderline dangerous in my opinion. The high beams in my headlights are plenty for the deer infested mountain roads I live by and drive on. The big goofy looking ones on my bumper are wonderful for coming down off the trails at real high elevation as I have them aimed out a bit and it basically makes everything the sun. The headlights are plenty sufficient for when I get back on the road.

Those goofy looking lights have the added benefit of also reducing if not eliminating hood flutter- zero impact on cooling either.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I like the Rigid SS with the KC Side Mounts.
The Jeep mirrors distract from their placement.

Reactions: Boxcarwill

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
I have had an order in for a few sets of lights for going on 4 months now and am ready to cancel and start over.

Bonus question: MCE fenders were on this order as well but probably also in a shipping container offshore, any suggestions on suitable stand-ins?
Your later comment about Quadratec is interesting. Yes, as any other vendor, they are subjected to the current backlog of production and shipping woes. These days they are a lot better with their newer system in commenting on the site if they time is back ordered. They then give their best estimates of when the item will be able to be shipped. Sometimes that is out of their hands as the expected date slips from their supplier.

I ran into this 5 years ago when their system did not have that information. Cancelled and was able to get the lights for my TJ from another vendor. I also ran into this 3 years ago from another vendor. I tried first from Quadratec, but their listing plainly stated the item back ordered and an expected ship date long after I needed the item. I went with another vendor who charged my account at the time of the order and then the expected ship date started to slip from a few days to a few weeks and then beyond when I needed the item. It was a Mopar item and no one seemed to have it, but one of the online Mopar vendors did.

I would cancel the order and try another vendor (by calling to see if in stock) or choosing another light that shows up ready to ship on Qtecs site. I was looking at their listing of wheels for someone and noted that the three finishes (black, silver, gray) were three different prices. One color was the old price, one was $10 higher and the next was $30 higher (per wheel). I will give them credit for not raising all of them to the new price (although they will raise each color when the higher priced shipment comes in, I'm sure).

Looks like we are all in for a period of delayed items and rising prices.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Your later comment about Quadratec is interesting. Yes, as any other vendor, they are subjected to the current backlog of production and shipping woes. These days they are a lot better with their newer system in commenting on the site if they time is back ordered. They then give their best estimates of when the item will be able to be shipped. Sometimes that is out of their hands as the expected date slips from their supplier.

I ran into this 5 years ago when their system did not have that information. Cancelled and was able to get the lights for my TJ from another vendor. I also ran into this 3 years ago from another vendor. I tried first from Quadratec, but their listing plainly stated the item back ordered and an expected ship date long after I needed the item. I went with another vendor who charged my account at the time of the order and then the expected ship date started to slip from a few days to a few weeks and then beyond when I needed the item. It was a Mopar item and no one seemed to have it, but one of the online Mopar vendors did.

I would cancel the order and try another vendor (by calling to see if in stock) or choosing another light that shows up ready to ship on Qtecs site. I was looking at their listing of wheels for someone and noted that the three finishes (black, silver, gray) were three different prices. One color was the old price, one was $10 higher and the next was $30 higher (per wheel). I will give them credit for not raising all of them to the new price (although they will raise each color when the higher priced shipment comes in, I'm sure).

Looks like we are all in for a period of delayed items and rising prices.

To be clear: not bashing on them, I get pretty regular emails updating the est ship date, their communication is good. Just tired of waiting.

I'm looking at some of the suggestions here and some I found, will probably cancel and order somewhere else if I can get it figured out this weekend.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts