Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm the brand new owner of a '91 YJ, and it's my very first project vehicle, so I'm a total newbie to customization. From what I can tell, I'm running a 3" body lift but everything is otherwise stock except for some 32 x 11.5's on some decent pacer rims.
I'm looking for my first major project to be turning this thing into a respectable trail vehicle. I don't foresee crawling in my future, so a coil conversion is out. Can I get some direction from some of you who have been in my shoes?

·
Premium Member
7,064 Posts
I have an 87 yj so I'm somewhat in your shoes but everyone I've talked to says 3" of body lift is way too much. If you wanna really tear into it a 4" lift would need a slip yoke Eliminator for the transfer case and a cv driveshaft so it doesn't vibrate. There are 2.5" lifts that don't require that much changing around just bolt the kit in. Everyone here seems to like the OME 2.5" lift kit. Its expensive but you get what you pay for. I have been looking into the fabtech 3.5" kit because it comes with a 1" transfer case drop to run untill you get the slip yoke and such. Then there is the soa. Spring over axles. That will give you a good 6" of lift and according to ibuildembig on here you don't need a sye since you set the pinion angle when re-welding the perches back on.

·
Registered
89 Posts
If it were me, i'd pull that body lift out. I wouldn't run more than 33"s on it if you aren't into crawling. If so, 35"s are pretty much the bare minimum for trails in my neck of the woods. Plus keeping a reasonable tire size will help keep jeep parts intact. That being said, I'd look at some of the rubicon express 4.5" kits. Chromoly axles are a must for light wheeling. If put a selectable locker on the rear to start. Is it auto or manual, 2.5 or 4.0, and what gears are in it?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's a 4.0 manual. Don't know what gears came stock. Still behind the learning curve.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Molly axles are NOT a must for light wheeling. Stock shafts are fine for light wheeling. If you lock the Dana 35 the I would highly suggest Molly shafts. The Dana 30 is a good axle, if you do locker it I would suggest a one peice shaft out of an xj or tj.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Been doing some research. Thinking about a skyjacker 2.5 plus .5 shackles, SYE, eaton e-lock, Molly axle upgrade. Anything else I should consider before I break my piggy bank open?

·
Administrator
12,630 Posts
Don't forget about extend brake lines. Also are you keeping the stock 27 spline shafts or upgrading to 30 spline for the rear dana 35? I would run the numbers on swaping in a ford 8.8, much better axle.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Jpdot said:
Been doing some research. Thinking about a skyjacker 2.5 plus .5 shackles, SYE, eaton e-lock, Molly axle upgrade. Anything else I should consider before I break my piggy bank open?
Don't make such a hasty decicion. You can go so many different ways with your vehicle. You can look at overline metalcloak fenders which will gain you a lot of room or maybe a bodylift and a tummy tuck with a 3" lift. Why not soa keeps factory ride but gains 5.5"s of lift. The closer you get to 4" the more likely you will want an sye and cv shaft. Unless you are just to damn good at what you do and can get it to work with out an sye like ibuildembig. No matter what your looking at extended brake lines. Possible steering upgrade to turn whatever size meats you throw on and even more maybe brakes to stop the bigger tires..

Plus if you want to lock your dana 35 instead of throwing new shafts in it look at some dana 44s or an 8.8. If you want to stay with your dana 35 then I would reccomend the superior gear and axle super 35 kit. That will give it plenty of strength to take a ration of rocks mud etc.

An sye is going to need an cv shaft or such to the equivalent. So if you do go sye the same time you do your lift then don't put on the tc drop and just rotate the axle to get the correct pinion angle (meaning rewelding perches on the axle). Also to get a new drive shaft after installing all this go with tom woods driveshafts they are superb!

If you want to fit 33x12.50s then you'll need new wheels if you don't have any already with the correct backspacing so you don't rub when turning. Or you'll need spacers to make it work with the rims you have now.

IT NEVER ENDS!

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Oh and I have been wheeling with 33x12.50s and open diffs with stock axles for years. Been through some amzingly hard places with my open diff carbed enviroment killer. Offraoding is 10% rig 10% terrain 10% driver and 70% luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
4Jeepn said:
Don't forget about extend brake lines. Also are you keeping the stock 27 spline shafts or upgrading to 30 spline for the rear dana 35? I would run the numbers on swaping in a ford 8.8, much better axle.
Looking to upgrade to 30. Have a whole cartful on 4wd.com that I need to weed through. As far as the 8.8 goes, I've been doing a little research and it looks like a good way to go.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
billytheyj said:
Oh and I have been wheeling with 33x12.50s and open diffs with stock axles for years. Been through some amzingly hard places with my open diff carbed enviroment killer. Offraoding is 10% rig 10% terrain 10% driver and 70% luck.
Thanks for the info. Looks like I have a lot more homework to do. I'm just amped up to get started. I took it out for the first time today, and my setup ain't gonna cut it for long.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Jpdot said:
Thanks for the info. Looks like I have a lot more homework to do. I'm just amped up to get started. I took it out for the first time today, and my setup ain't gonna cut it for long.
No problem I lie mine theway it its I just ned to strengthen in up and get it ruining right maybe some loxkers etc but I'm not going kitsch bigger if at all. I have been in fully built rigs and must tasks are just to easy it seems to be more fun in a moderate rig with the trails I have access to.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
billytheyj said:
No problem! I like mine the way it its I just need to strengthen it up and get it running right maybe some lockers etc but I'm not going muchch bigger if at all. I have been in fully built rigs and most trails are just to easy, it seems to be more fun in a moderate rig with the trails I have access to.
Quote edit lol sorry damn phone.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts