Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently bought a jeep for myself (16 years old) and want to add stuff to it. My mom's boyfriend actually built an '87 cj7 and knows a lot about jeeps. But I just wanted some other opinions. My jeep is a 2000 Wrangler tj and it is completely stock. I wanted to give it a 1.25 inch body lift and then a 2 inch suspension lift. During that process I would like to apply 33 inch tires. I have all this planned out, and I have the money. What would be my best choice of brand for tires and suspension? I have looked at rough country for the body and suspension lift. They seem decent, and I will be using my own shocks so the price will drop pretty low. But for tires I have looked at BFG's and Toyo's, but they are pretty expensive. Again, if anyone has any recommendations, all opinions are welcome! Thanks. (Btw first post here).

·
Registered
102 Posts
I just recently bought a jeep for myself (16 years old) and want to add stuff to it. My mom's boyfriend actually built an '87 cj7 and knows a lot about jeeps. But I just wanted some other opinions. My jeep is a 2000 Wrangler tj and it is completely stock. I wanted to give it a 1.25 inch body lift and then a 2 inch suspension lift. During that process I would like to apply 33 inch tires. I have all this planned out, and I have the money. What would be my best choice of brand for tires and suspension? I have looked at rough country for the body and suspension lift. They seem decent, and I will be using my own shocks so the price will drop pretty low. But for tires I have looked at BFG's and Toyo's, but they are pretty expensive. Again, if anyone has any recommendations, all opinions are welcome! Thanks. (Btw first post here).

Im sure the opinions will start coming in but what i would recommend is
#1. Take your time.
#2 Start looking at past threads on here, they are full of info.
You can search key words and read the threads on suspension or tires

Sounds like you got a good set up, Im parcial to BFG KO2's

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Rough country and skyjacker are pretty much "bottom of the barrel" lifts. For what you are trying to accomplish, one really good way to do it is with a Suspension and body lift kit in one package. This one from DPG Offroad is an excellent one and will maintain a nice riding Jeep. http://dpgoffroad.com/products/old-man-emu-deluxe-tjlj-wrangler-kit/

Another (and less expensive)way is to go with a BDS 2" suspension lift and a 1.25 JKS body lift.

Another option is to just buy springs (if you're set on using your shocks). http://dpgoffroad.com/products/old-man-emu-coil-springs/

Remember shocks need to be the right length for the lift and the Jeep needs to be bump stopped according to the way it's set up.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I went with a similar OME kit to the one that Water Dog is recommending, although the price is probably not ideal for a 16 year old they are all parts that you will eventually end up needing/ wanting anyways. Can't go wrong with the bfgs as far as tires.

·
Registered
99 Posts
First off, Welcome to the forum! And secondly, like it was said before, take your time and do your research. I won't mention company names but look for a kit that is bolt it (i.e. Short arm kit) and maybe steer clear of control arms that use rubber or poly bushings. Instead look for ones that use something like Johnny joints. How long are the shocks? Not all 2" lift kit shocks are the same. Some provide better travel than others. What other parts come with the kit? If you're doing any off-roading you'll want quick disconnects. Read reviews, call companies and ask plenty of questions. A lift kit is a big investment and you don't want to short change it and end up with bad bump steer or saggy springs or something. And for tires A/Ts work but they only work 'okay' IMO. if you plan on ever wheeling your jeep in less than ideal conditions than you may want to look into a mud terrain of sorts such as a KM2. A 33" KM2 is not much more expensive than a 33" KO2 for a 15" rim.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts