Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys how's it going! I'm new here to Wranglerforums and decided I'm going to make the transition to a jeep and need some pricing info on one, and I apologize in advance if this isn't the right section for this. But one of my co-workers is selling a 2006 Jeep Wrangler for 15,500, 70k on the odometer. Just curious if this is a decently good price for it ( or how much you think it's worth) or if you think it's in my best interest to continue searching? Thanks again guys!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
With only 70K on the clock, if it's in good shape and no rust, that's about the going rate for an 05 or 06 around here. I thought when the JKs had been out a few years that the prices of TJs would drop some but they are still holding their value about the same as they were 4 or 5 years ago in GA.

·
Registered
41 Posts
That seems way too high for a 4 cylinder. It appears to be in decent shape but well used and the miles are good but you'll be able to find a 6 cylinder for less money. I'd keep looking.

·
Registered
41 Posts
You sure? There are no engine pics but it shows a 5 speed. 2005 and later were 6 speed with the 6 cylinder. Was it an engine swap?

And FYI, it's an inline 6, not a V6 :)

Good luck and the hunt is half the fun!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Check the carfax. If its clean then the truck is worth about 15 with the upgrades, as long as it drives well on the highway. It needs a good cleaning thats for sure, lots of off roading it looks like it from the clay dust. Have a mechanic look at it too, since 15 is at the upper end of the spectrum. I just got an 03 sahara automatic for 12 with 100k. Good luck!

·
Registered
298 Posts
I bought an 04 sport with the 4.0 I6 5 speed with no rust and only 56,000 miles and extremely clean and stock in the Chicagoland area for 15,600 after taxes title and dock fee from a jeep dealer, I think you should push closer to 14,000 for that. It would be more fair

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Didn't realize that the 6 speed manual was the only manual tranny available behind the 4.0 in 06 but never really gave it much thought. The Jeep has been modded a good bit and obviously gets wheeled. Has the tranny been changed to a 5 speed (maybe the NV 3550 or 4500) or perhaps just someone put a 5 speed knob on it. How well do you know this guy and does he maintain the Jeep well. The reason I ask is I bought an early Bronco from a good friend that had been highly modded but I knew what I was buying and it was a great truck. Was my DD for 3 years and also got me back into wheeling. Just wanted to make sure you are buying something that will give you good service and not getting a POS that has been abused. I don't consider wheeling in itself abuse, but the failure to repair when things get damaged or just being stupid is a different story. Didn't really notice any body damage. Looks like there has been some nice work done to the Jeep from the pics posted.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys I really appreciate all the input! So all the mods looks alright though for a jeep to get me going into a little bit of wheeling?

·
Registered
298 Posts
You should be fine wheeling that jeep around, it looks like it would be great on the trials :)

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
that price is way high IMO.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
How long has he been looking to sell? Is he desperate? Try to wait him out so he will be more willing to go lower. Do you know the history? Has he complained about problems with it in the past? Is he an avid wheeler? Did he beat the crap out of it? or just dirt roads and being off pavement type of wheeling? Makes a difference. Wait it out a bit and keep looking: let him know you are looking around too...may be more willing to deal....

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Price is high. Looks like you will need a set of new tires asap. That type of bfg mt hasn't been produced in years so the tires may have dry rot plus they look pretty worn. For $15k that TJ should have air lockers, D44 rear, chromoly shafts, quality lift, and appropriate gears.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good point Trailboss, I'll let him know I'm looking around at other jeeps too and wait it out a little. He doesn't seem to be in too big a hurry to sell either though.

Yeah Big Cole that's kind of what I was thinking also, and I don't know too much about upgraded jeep values. From my visual inspection they don't appear to be dry rotting yet but they probably are around the 30% tread point, so would be needing new tires in the near future. It does have a brand new 6" skyjacker lift kit on it

1 - 18 of 18 Posts