Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so about 6 months ago my Tj started acting a little funny and it would randomly go dead sometimes AFTER BEING PARKED and I would have to get a jump from someone to start it, but RIGHT when the jumper cables would get attached it would start right up. Also, everytime I did this my battery gauge would shoot all the way to the top within 2 or 3 mins of me driving, passed the 19 on the gauge. Even though it probably wasnt the smartest idea, since I was just driving in town, I assumed this was a technical error and would just continue to drive until I got to my destination. That went on for a couple of weeks, but then it randomly stopped. I dk why. But now here I am 6 months later, in college, and the jeep being my only vehicle, and it decides to do it again. Whenever it goes dead, it goes COMPLETELY dead. No dash lights, no nothin. I can very faintly see the lit up handbrake light in my dash, but if I push on the brake pedal or something it goes out. Also, when it did it for the first time the other day, I got a jump from my brother no problem, but about 2 mins later it went dead at a redlight WHILE RUNNING, but then once again, once jumper cables got hooked to it, it instantly started up right when they got connected. Could this be fixed just by buying a new battery? Thats what I would assume but that would not be the cause of it going dead while running at a red light would it? Thanks for any advice guys. This might be a dumb question but I'm not all that mechanically inclined yet so I have no idea about all of this stuff haha.

·
Registered
161 Posts
take the terminals off and you can use a sand paper i use emery cloth because it is more flexible or even a wire brush

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
if you have corrosion on them then soak the cable ends in a cup of water with baking soda for a couple minutes and clean the battery posts with the same solution..an old toothbrush works good for that..then sand or scrape the battery posts and connection area of the cables

·
Knows a couple things...
49,131 Posts
Loose/dirty/corroded battery posts and the connectors that go on them are common causes of that problem. Go to your local auto parts store and buy a wire battery brush which pulls apart into a male wire brush to clean the inside of the connectors, and a female wire brush to clean the battery posts. Edit: Exactly as shown in post #8 above.

Remove both (!) battery connections and get them shiny clean, then securely reinstall the connectors and make sure they are TIGHT when you're done. Tight enough that you can't move them with your hands.

Bad battery connections cause more problems than most people would ever guess.

·
Commercial Member
3,962 Posts
And make em look like this!! :thumb: and I keep 2 new terminal ends and the brush in my glove box because Jeeps are notorious for terminal corrosion. Ive got mine coated in vaseline now, now air=no oxidation

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alright thanks for the replies guys. My brother works at a nissan dealership so I'm going to get him to bring me a socket set tomorrow so I can take them off , because being down here at college I have no tools whatsoever accessible to me. Ill probably use a combination of sand paper and the baking soda solution just to make sure them bad boys are extra clean lol thanks guys and Ill let yall know how it goes.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow thanks for all the pics bro, that will help me out a lot when I go to the auto store like Jerry said. With me not being very mechanically smart I need all the help I can get. And thanks Jerry Ill be sure them bad boys are squeaky clean haha and does vaseline not mess with the connection jason??

·
Commercial Member
3,962 Posts
It hasn't messed with mine since April!! Lol I've seen people put grease, paint or vaseline on em just to have a little barrier there to keep em from corroding

·
Knows a couple things...
49,131 Posts
You can use nearly anything that is rough to clean them up enough to at least help. Just scraping the corrosion off with anything handy will work... heck a screwdriver, knife, etc. can be used to get them cleaned up enough to help.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts